FEMA grants $6.8 million to natural disaster victims

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced late last week they granted Wisconsin residents about $6.8 million in disaster relief aid this year.

About 4,600 Wisconsin residents affected by severe storms, floods and tornadoes this summer received grant money, and FEMA will continue to accept grant applications until Oct. 25.

Vernon County has received over $2 million in aid for about 750 recipients — the most money granted to a county in Wisconsin.

Alex Filip, FEMA public information officer, said the numbers of applicants have steadily declined over time but will probably rise again as the application deadline comes closer.

FEMA is trying to get “the last-minute people” accounted for, Filip said, while also trying to help those who are just now noticing damage to their homes.

“What happens is, especially around here in Wisconsin, people start to close up the house because it’s cold out. Mold, little leaks and these kinds of things all the sudden come to their attention,” Filip said.

Anyone who applied for individual assistance, Filip added, receives the money directly and could apply the funds toward various personal needs.

“That would cover if they have to stay in a hotel, repairs on the house, just any property repairs,” Filip said. “We’re just trying to help get people back on their feet.”

FEMA does not have a limit on how much money it can give out, but does limit how much each individual can receive to almost $29,000.

Filip added it would take two to three days for FEMA to send out the money after an individuals’ application has been approved.

Lori Getter, spokesperson for Wisconsin Emergency Management, said Gov. Jim Doyle was very pleased with how FEMA has handled the situation.

“The people from FEMA have been working very hard to ensure that all of our flood victims are receiving the assistance that they need,” Getter said. “We’re just overall very pleased they have been working very hard.”

Getter added FEMA has done a great job to ensure Wisconsin flood victims receive the assistance they need.

It is also important for the people of Wisconsin to be prepared in case another incident like this occurs again, Getter said.

“We do have flooding and tornadoes in Wisconsin,” Getter said. “The best thing people can do is be prepared, make sure their home owner’s insurance policies are up to date and have a family emergency plan.”