Student Judiciary meets at Capitol

The Student Judiciary branch of Associated Students of Madison held its weekly meeting in the Supreme Court Hearing Room in the Capitol building Friday. Afterward, they received a private audience with Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson of the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

SJ Chief Justice Sol Grosskopf arranged the meeting.

"It will not only add to our educational experience of this office, but also to the wealth of knowledge that we accumulate by serving in this position," Grosskopf said.

Student Judiciary interprets the ASM constitution and bylaws if problems arise within committees and organizations. It operates with six associate justices, one vice chief justice and one chief justice.

Grosskopf, SJ Vice Chief Justice Shaun Hernandez, and Associate Justices Trenell Darby, Christine Harbin, Jeremy Jewett and Leah Moe conducted the meeting seated around a large mahogany lawyer's table that is original to the building.

New business at the meeting included the possible establishment of a public defender-type position that would serve as a consult for student organizations that are not represented by lawyers.

Chief Justice Abrahamson arrived at the meeting after the discussion of new business. She proceeded with an informal question-and-answer session with the SJ justices about the structure and procedures of Wisconsin law, the inner workings of Student Judiciary and her own experiences as a judge.

Abrahamson also spoke of the Supreme Court Hearing Room itself, commenting on the furniture and the historical events depicted in the four large murals adorning the room's walls.

"But the grandeur of the room does not affect your decision-making," Abrahamson said. "You should have the same decision-making whether you're sitting here or in a warehouse."

SJ Associate Justice Jewett asked Abrahamson, a Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice since 1976, how she balances the need to learn and grow on the job with staying consistent in judgments.

"The statutes keep changing, the Constitution amendments keep changing. There are never two cases that are precisely the same," Abrahamson said. "Buildings are built to sway in the wind. Otherwise what happens? They'll crack. And so, the law, too, allows for some degree of flexibility."

Grosskopf said he would like to see this meeting become a tradition for student judiciary members and hopes it provides student justices with new perspectives on their jobs.