Campus pledges to environment

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is joining hundreds of other campuses across the country by committing to make its campus more environmentally friendly.

UW-Eau Claire, along with nearly 350 other colleges in the United States, recently signed the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment.

University presidents from across the nation sign the ACUPCC as a vow to make changes on their campuses to help curb global warming and environmental issues by creating and enforcing greenhouse gas emissions policies.

"We further recognize the need to reduce the global emission of greenhouse gases by 80 percent by mid-century at the latest, in order to avert the worst impacts of global warming and to re-establish the more stable climatic conditions that have made human progress over the last 10,000 years possible," the ACUPCC website said.

By signing the ACUPCC, university presidents agree to implement these new policies within a two month period.

Michael Rindo, executive director of communications at UW-Eau Claire, said the ways in which they plan to meet the ACUPCC’s requirements are still being determined. The school is in the process of developing strategic planning groups to make decisions regarding energy, transportation and environmentally friendly buildings, Rindo added.

"It's more than just simply cutting emissions — it's about being stewards of place," Rindo said. "Namely, we have a wonderful river that flows through our campus, and we are responsible for preserving it."

Rindo said these decisions will reflect a deep sense of respect for the environment.

The majority of UW-Eau Claire students were in favor of the commitment, Rindo said, with 70 percent of students approving an additional $10 tuition fee increase to help fund the redevelopment of a student union that would make it more eco-friendly.

Other UW campuses have signed the ACUPCC, including River Falls, Stevens Point, Superior, Whitewater, Green Bay and Oshkosh. UW-Madison has yet to sign.

"I think it would be terrific if the university signed on with the Presidents Climate Commitment," said Rachel Butler, member of Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group. "UW is doing work with [the environment], but there is still a long way to go."

Despite not being part of the ACUPCC, there are organizations on the UW campus devoted to promoting a more environmentally friendly university.

WISPIRG is one such organization and is dedicated to implementing plans and promoting activism to guarantee a sustainable environment, Butler said. The group is participating in a campaign called Big Red Go Green, which aims to create awareness about energy consumption and implementing changes to curb consumption habits.

UW is also participating in a campuswide program called We Conserve.

According to a letter from Chancellor John Wiley discussing the We Conserve program, UW has begun "implementing a plan to trim campus energy consumption per square foot by 20 percent by 2010."

Butler said the best way students can make a change is to get involved in environmental issues on campus.

"The most important thing students can do right now is to take ownership for the way they use energy in both a university and a personal setting," Butler said. "If students really are concerned with having a green university and having UW-Madison be at the forefront of energy and climate consciousness, then students are going to have to step up and demand that we are a climate-conscious university."