Students slam city bar ban

The Associated Students of Madison denounced the Alcohol License Density Plan proposed by the mayor and outlined alternate suggestions for a safer campus area during a press conference Wednesday.

University of Wisconsin freshman Steven Grant, an ASM shared governance intern, said the organization is concerned about the outcome of the proposed plan.

Grant said the density plan, which would limit the number of liquor-licensed establishments in the immediate downtown area in an attempt to curb violence, would not fulfill its intended purpose.

"Safety is paramount to ASM," Grant said. "Unfortunately, we don't see the Alcohol License Density Plan as an effective solution to safety, and we believe what we need right now is a pointed and effective solution."

The Madison City Council is currently considering the plan as a way to decrease violence in the downtown area. It would not revoke licenses from currently operating bars, but would make it considerably more difficult to obtain a new license or renew an old one.

According to Grant, fewer bars could lead to more house parties, which are widely known for being dangerously unregulated.

Grant shared an outline of ASM's ideas for improvements in campus safety routines, emphasizing the importance of student education regarding alcohol and the creation of new liaison positions.

ASM supports an emphasis on a university administration liaison, a police liaison and a student liaison, he added.

According to Grant, one important step toward improving campus safety is raising the profile of campus safety by following Yale's example and safety initiatives in the New Haven area.

"We strongly believe that the turning point in this fight against campus violence is going to be collaboration," Grant said. "As long as everyone is working together we can be a united force."

Jeff Wright, ASM shared governance chair and UW senior, agreed that collaboration was key in the fight against area violence.

He emphasized the difference the student voice could make.

"We comprise 40,000 people of the city — that's a major percentage," Wright said. "We feel we have to have a greater voice on city matters."

That is why, beginning in June, Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc., will allow a permanent student seat on its executive committee.

Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc., is a neighborhood association that brings together the residents of six districts in downtown Madison to improve the quality of life in the area.

Though this is the 39th shared governance committee with a student voice, it will be the first group that is neither a university nor a city organization allowing a student seat.

"It is going to give us a necessary outlet in addressing city issues and concerns such as campus safety and/or the alcohol license density plan," Wright said. "We are very represented on campus, but not as much as we would like to be in the city or in the broader community."

The student representative — preferably a student who lives in one of the six districts of Capitol Neighborhoods, Inc.– will be appointed within the next few weeks and will begin his or her official one-year term in June.