Diversity program targets local schools

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]ASMHighBC[/media-credit]More than 100 high school and dozens of middle school students took part in a diversity program Monday to become better acquainted with the University of Wisconsin campus.

Students from Madison, Janesville and Milwaukee district schools with various backgrounds took part in the program, which was sponsored by the Associated Students of Madison. The students were paired with UW students who presented information about applying and obtaining a college education.

"We've targeted underrepresented minorities and LBGT students," said Hannah Buck, chair of the ASM Diversity Committee. "It is open to all students, but we did target those groups. They are the large ones missing on our campus."

Buck said students were matched with their partners based on a survey including academic interests, race, gender and sexual orientation to provide students with a welcoming message.

After a meeting and breakfast, students attended class with their match, toured the campus and attended workshops by the Writing Center, admissions staff and Financial Aid Office.

"By bringing them here and giving them that one-on-one experience with a college student," Buck said, "we're pushing them to pursue a college education and help diversify our campus."

UW junior Justin Steiner, who guided a student around Monday, said he participated so he could meet with younger students and encourage them to apply.

"The reason I applied to do it was because I thought it was unique and wanted to interact with students who might be coming here," Steiner said. "It's important to allow students who may be intimidated about coming here to give them a frame of reference to realize it's really not that big and scary of a place."

Joe Redmond, a sophomore at Bay View High School in Milwaukee, said he hoped to take home information about how to prepare for college life as he chooses his path at his "already diverse" high school.

"I'm looking to hear more about the campus, and I want to ask questions about how to get in and learn more about the students," Redmond said.

However, Misti Smith, a junior at Bay View, said she thinks UW could use a little help in the diversity department, but still had an open mind for the tours.

"I'm here to get a feel for the campus and the diversity," Smith said. "From what I've seen, it's not the most diverse."

Smith said the event was a stepping stone to her admission at a university.

"I'm looking to take another step closer to getting into the school," Smith said.