UW building projects face criticism

University of Wisconsin System officials will make their case for $775 million in proposed building projects before the state Legislature's budget committee this Wednesday.

And while legislators have traditionally supported new academic buildings and renovations, some controversial proposals — such as that of UW-Madison's new Union South — may eventually sit on the chopping block.

Almost every requested project from the UW System was approved last month by the State Building Commission, which is chaired by Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle.

Some legislators called the approvals a step toward "empire building," which follows a national trend to grow the size of college campuses.

Mike Mikelsen, spokesperson for state Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said universities should focus more on quality over quantity.

Last October, 6.59 percent of eligible UW-Madison students voted to approve increased segregated fees to fund renovations to Memorial Union and the rebuilding of Union South.

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said the proposed Union South, as well as other projects, should be cut from the budget because of affordability.

"I think the UW has a lot of work to do to justify these projects," said Suder, a member of the Joint Finance Committee. "I would argue, what with limited resources, I'm not sure the state can afford it."

Most of the building projects — including six at UW-Madison — do not request any state funds but rather the use of state bonds as loan payment systems. Most projects will be fully funded by increased student fees and private gifts.

And Mikelsen said he is not sure even the students can afford the tuition hikes for the new buildings.

"You can't continue to build and raise fees and then complain tuition is too high," Mikelsen said. "All of these buildings can have a huge economic impact on students."

The two union projects, as approved by the campus vote, require students to pay an additional $48 per semester for two years starting this fall.

In 2009, students would be required to pay $96 per semester for no more than 30 years, amounting to 58 percent of projected costs. The remainder would be funded through private gifts.

David Giroux, spokesperson for the UW System, said the projects are crucial tools to better recruit and retain students and faculty.

Giroux said one-third of students reject a university due to its physical appearance, according to a national survey conducted in 2005 by the Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers.

"We would never go forward on projects funded by segregated fees without some measure of student support," Giroux said. "We put forth these proposals from what we see today in the student body."

Giroux also said it is a misnomer to say every project was approved by the State Building Commission. Before requested projects go to the Legislature, the Board of Regents first decides which proposals are the highest priorities.

"We did not request everything our campuses wanted … or what our students may need," Giroux said. "We don't just pass along every request."

Some UW-Madison projects, such as the proposed new Music Performance Building, appear to be right on track for approval. Although Republican lawmakers said they would likely strike some projects, most have traditionally supported requests for new academic buildings.

University officials say the $43.8 million Music Performance Building — which would replace the current Humanities Building on Park Street — would eliminate many structural and academic problems.

Justin Richardson, facilities manager for the Music Department, said the mostly concrete building built from 1966 to 1969 was not designed to handle Wisconsin weather. He said the building constantly leaks, sometimes ruining expensive music equipment, and he added that the building is spatially inadequate.

"We're just kind of used to dealing with extreme issues," he said. "Sometimes we're at 100 percent of the building being used. Most times it feels like 90."

Richardson said many music students are forced off campus, such as to local churches, to find practice areas because Humanities is filled to capacity.

Molly Carlson, assistant director of the Music Department, said office and classroom space is often tight, but said she really looks forward to the proposed building's new concert halls.

"We would love a new building because we view ourselves as one of the top music programs around, and we would like to have the facilities match that," Carlson said.

The new concert halls would have improved acoustics and could be rented as a recording studio for classical musicians. Combined with compact-disc sales from concerts, the Music Department could create additional scholarships with the new revenue, Carlson said.

Before breaking ground on the new building, university officials would first need to find a new home for the Art and History Departments, which are currently based in the Humanities Building.

"This won't happen any time soon, I'm afraid," Richardson said. "But we're looking forward to it."