Committee pushes for efficiency

In order to more efficiently and appropriately approve budgets for student organizations, the funding organization of the University of Wisconsin's student government passed several resolutions to alter its bylaws Monday night.

The Student Services Finance Committee took the compiled advice of its subcommittee after several meetings this spring, including one to switch around the budget eligibility process.

Student organizations rotated on a 2-year cycle of applying for eligibility for allocable student segregated fees in the fall, but now they will apply in the spring, leaving double duty for the 2007-08 committee members, according to SSFC representative David Lapidus.

"So we'll have less work in the fall but more work in the spring, and then more work for next year in general," Lapidus said.

Lapidus said part of the decision was an attempt to provide more "partisan interest" in the spring so members didn't drop out of the group.

SSFC Chair Zach Frey said the decision to move the eligibility decision would also take the time crunch off the shoulders of the group in fall.

"Partly, it was to spread out the workload," Frey said.

In order to prevent a potential conflict of interest, SSFC also amended their bylaws to include information about standing SSFC members serving on committees funded by SSFC, with the exception of internal ASM groups.

Lapidus said the sanction would only apply to members who are asked to serve on committees of student organizations on campus.

"It only deals with if you're an SSFC member, you can't serve on a committee of any [General Student Service Funded] group," Lapidus said. "But we're not banning anyone from leadership."

Frey said the responsibility to aid student organizations on committees was previously on the job descriptions of representatives.

In response to several communication breakdowns, SSFC took the advice of the subcommittee and created a "liaison position" where a representative from SSFC will meet with student organizations to discuss the complex budget proposal process.

SSFC also clarified payment practices for the chair and vice chair to ensure payment of the stipend they receive for their work during the year.