Google spot up for bid in auction

A University of Wisconsin alumnus or benefactor has an opportunity to help send a UW student to a summer internship at Google.

UW announced Wednesday that the Internet giant has offered a paid, eight-week summer internship spot to any university student that qualifies.

However, to help make the internship possible, auctioneers must donate money through the large-scale auction, sponsored by the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

It will be only the second time in its history that Google has offered a summer internship opportunity in this fashion, according to Mary DeNiro, vice president of marketing and communications at the WAA.

"Basically the way it will work is folks can bid on this internship, and what they will be doing is donating it to the university," DeNiro said. "Then a committee will select a qualifying junior for an eight-week paid internship with Google."

In order to win the internship opportunity, students have to satisfy certain criteria. Students must have a GPA of at least 3.0, must submit a cover letter and résumé to the committee.

Cindy Alvarez, along with her husband, UW athletic director Barry Alvarez, are campaign co-chairs for Gilda's Club, which is using part of the WAA fundraiser to help build its new facility for residents living with cancer in Madison.

"What better way [to raise money] than have a national company like Google support us?" Cindy Alvarez said. "The man from Google said when he posts a job opening like this, he gets thousands of responses."

With its new facility in Madison, Gilda's Club — named after Gilda Radner, a former Saturday Night Live comedian who died of ovarian cancer in 1989 — will offer services for anyone in the Madison community.

"Gilda's Club offers free social, emotional and educational support for anybody living with cancer: men, women, children, anybody who is in Madison who would need that support system," Alvarez said. "We have been actively raising money. We have our site, and our final design will be released in April."

In addition to the Google addition, DeNiro said the Big Badger Auction, which ends at noon March 28, contains more than 300 items to bid on.

"It's a way for friends and alumni of the Wisconsin Alumni Association to bid on unique items," DeNiro said. "The money goes back to our chapters to then give back to students in scholarships and to the WAA to do outreach on campus."

DeNiro said the 75 WAA chapters around the world allow UW alumni to stay connected and influence students who are currently studying.

As of press time, the biggest ticket item was the opportunity to direct the Badger Band in the Fifth Quarter of a football game. The highest bid for the item currently stands at $1,600.

"We have an alumn[a] from Paris who has donated her Paris flat (apartment) and will give you a personal tour of Paris," DeNiro said. "We're telling people to bid high and bid often."

The Big Badger Auction began March 14. Students can place their bids via the WAA website, www.uwalumni.com.

The winner of the Google internship will be announced by May 1.