Suzuki urges preservation

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Suzuki_BC[/media-credit]A renowned environmentalist told a crowd of more than 1,100 at Memorial Union Theater Tuesday to pay attention to their natural survival instincts.

David Suzuki, who was the last leg in the Distinguished Lecture Series, drew a high turnout as people sought to learn more about what is going on with the environment.

"My concern is that we are turning our back on the survival mechanism of our species," Suzuki said.

Suzuki explained in his lecture that foresight — humans' "idea of the future" — was what led people to be the "dominant species of the planet." Ignoring that mechanism is what will lead society into possible ruin, he added.

"This is the moment where we define whether our species is a spectacular flash-in-the-pan failure, or … one that will step up and fix things," Suzuki said. "We need to pay attention to what scientists are telling us — that we have been heading down a dangerous path."

Suzuki said that, while the decisions made today will not affect him, they will have drastic ramifications for future generations, pointing specifically to the student body.

"Students are that generation that is essentially going to inherit whatever we adults decide to leave for you," Suzuki said. "Decisions are being made now that are going to determine the quality of life for the student body today — I think that is as a big a stake as you can have."

Suzuki pointed to New Orleans as an example of what happens when people ignore intellectual opinions.

And, according to Suzuki, "stubborn" leaders in politics and business are to blame for the current state of the global environment.

Suzuki pointed out multiple solutions for the current environmental crisis being blocked by those in positions of power.

"The goods news is that there [are] a lot of good [solutions] out there — the bad news is that our leaders in business and politics don't want to change; they want to keep doing things the same old way." Suzuki said. "They are willing to put a bandage on here and there, but they don't want to be fundamentally shifted."

There is no way to predict exactly when the world may come to an end if people continue on the current course, Suzuki added.

"The World Watch Institute called the 1990s a 'turn around decade,'" Suzuki said. "Well, ten years came and went and we're still fighting, so I don't think anyone can say, but we are for sure heading down a very dangerous slope."

University of Wisconsin senior Teagan Hayes said she enjoyed the lecture, adding it is rare to have present such a successful scientist with great speaking skills.

"I was really impressed with how good of a speaker he was and how personal he made it," Hayes said.

However, UW sophomore Jim Grace said Suzuki could have provided more insight on pinpointing specific areas of concern.

"I agreed on all his points and I got a lot out of it," Grace said. "I think he was too general though; he didn't talk about any specific solutions."