Candidate expecting funding examination

A nonpartisan government watchdog group officially asked the Wisconsin Judicial Commission Monday to investigate whether state Supreme Court candidate Annette Ziegler violated judicial code of conduct by hearing in which she had a potential conflict of interest.

According to the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign's request, Ziegler — a Washington County circuit court judge — heard nine cases involving banks and businesses in which she owned $50,000 worth of stock and seven cases involving West Bend Savings Bank, where Ziegler's husband is on its board of directors.

"Judge Ziegler repeatedly broke clear-cut judicial ethics rules on conflicts of interest and continues to this day to act as though they don't apply to her," said Mike McCabe, director of the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, in a statement. "She needs to be held accountable for that."

According to an analysis by the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, electronic court records show Ziegler did not withdraw from the disputed cases or inform related parties about her financial ties. Most of the cases involved small claims and money judgments ranging from $532 to nearly $47,000.

Marci VanAdestine, a Ziegler spokesperson, said the campaign welcomes the judicial commission's review.

"It will show that she's never had any bias," VanAdestine said. "[Ziegler and her husband] received no financial benefits from the cases."

According to current judicial code of conduct, a financial interest recusal may be required if a judge's spouse "is a party to the proceeding or an officer, director or trustee of a party." The test applies if a judge — as a taxpayer or ratepayer — could be substantially affected by the outcome.

Linda Clifford, a Madison lawyer and Ziegler's opponent for the Supreme Court seat, said she has been disappointed by Ziegler's reluctance to explain her actions.

"I think she should have asked on her own behalf weeks ago what her conduct was all about," Clifford said. "The Wisconsin voters — at least the ones I have talked to — have been very concerned with her explanations."

In its request to the Wisconsin Judicial Commission, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign urged a quick opinion from the nine-member board before the April 3 election.

Legislators introduce bill to reform state Supreme Court campaign finance

Two Assembly Democrats plan to introduce legislation this session that would give candidates for the state Supreme Court access to public financing.

The proposed bill would create a "democracy trust fund" through general-purpose revenue to finance campaigns. Candidates would be limited to accessing $100,000 in the primary election and $300,000 in the spring election.

"When a nonpartisan race for a position requiring impartiality is heavily influenced by big money, the public trust is eroded," state Rep. Gordon Hintz, D-Oshkosh, said in a statement. "The best way to restore trust is to take money out of the equation. Enacting a public financing system for Supreme Court races will accomplish that goal."

The bill, also sponsored by state Rep. Steven Hilgenberg, D-Dodgeville, proposes reducing the maximum amount of money a person or committee could donate to a Supreme Court candidate.

Individuals and committees would be allowed to contribute no more than $1,000. Currently, individuals may give up to $10,000 and committees up to $8,625.