Catholic group answers back

The University of Wisconsin Roman Catholic Foundation altered its bylaws to include more students on its board of directors Tuesday, bringing the group into compliance with a federal judge's recent ruling. UWRCF spokesperson Tim Kruse said the group added six more students to the board to reach a 9-8 majority of student to non-student members. “We went through every line in our bylaws and amended it to clarify nothing could take place without a majority of students present,” Kruse said. With last night's changes, Casey Nagy, chief of staff for Chancellor John Wiley, said he “assumes” UWRCF would now be eligible for student-segregated fee funding, which could total more than $250,000. “To my knowledge, [leadership majority] was the main obstacle,” Nagy said. “There may be other technicalities, and I assume the foundation would try to meet all the outstanding qualifications — so I assume they will now qualify.” In his decision last Thursday, U.S. District Judge John Shabaz said UWRCF failed to comply with UW's requirement that registered student organizations “be controlled and directed by UW-Madison students.” “Because of the structure of the foundation's board of directors, plaintiffs failed to establish that UW-Madison students are the ones exercising decision-making authority over the foundation,” Shabaz wrote in his decision, according to a copy obtained by The Badger Herald. At last night's ruling, Kruse said UWRCF chose to go beyond Shabaz's “50-50” recommendation in order to ensure a student majority on all decisions. Kruse added he hopes this will be the last action required to be considered a registered student organization and be eligible for student-segregated fee funding. “I would hope this would be it, as our attorney argued there's been a constant shifting standard,” Kruse said. “We would hope we'll be treated fairly and in good faith.” Kruse added UWRCF contacted the chancellor's office — as well as the federal court — to notify them that the foundation changed its bylaws to comply with the judge's decision. Nagy confirmed that he received the notification, which he said may allow UWRCF to receive segregated fees. Kruse added both the bishop and the vicar general of the Diocese of Madison also stepped down from the board of directors, where their positions have existed for more than 100 years. In his ruling, Shabaz noted the bishop and vicar general's presence in the influential leadership positions. With the alterations made Tuesday, Kruse said he is hopeful it will be the last step to restoring their funding. “We're very confident and optimistic they'll recognize us and we'll resume our services,” Kruse said. “It's been quite a hardship to reserve space on campus and be eligible for segregated fees — we want to be recognized as an RSO.” Kruse added since UWRCF applied for RSO status in June and was denied it in September, it should be added to the list of those receiving segregated fees relatively quickly. Nagy said the alteration would presumably end the process of making sure UWRCF qualifies for student-segregated fee funding. He added the decision comes at a good time for the chancellor, who just recently received budgets for groups receiving segregated fee funding. “I think that's great. We've been working on and off to have them qualify, and now that they've taken this step, presumably they can be recognized,” Nagy said. “It helps us move forward with our budget review.”