College boards get active

Representatives from university governing boards across the nation met in Arizona Tuesday to discuss the need to increase their involvement in areas such as faculty relations, legal risks and the overall accountability for higher education.

The annual conference of the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges, held in Phoenix, placed an emphasis on how board members can no longer be disengaged from the universities they oversee, as customary in the past, according to the association's web site.

Rather, the association said governing boards must devote a significant amount of time and expertise toward their responsibilities.

David Walsh, president of the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents, said the board needs to be involved — and is involved — with matters regarding the implementation of significant policies.

"We need to be informed about the status of major initiatives," Walsh said. "However, we cannot get involved with micromanaging the university."

Walsh added there is a delicate balance between supervision of the UW System and micromanaging it, adding the regents are effective at reaching this balance.

In the state of Wisconsin, UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the authority and specific responsibilities for the Board of Regents, is written into state law.

Under Wisconsin state statute 36.09 (1), the board has the authority to "enact policies and promulgate rules for the governing system," as well as plan for the future needs of in-state universities.

"There is a great deal of authority invested in the board to set policy and manage resources," Giroux said. "The board receives routine updates."

After the recent oversight of a UW System information technology project that cost them $28.4 million, Giroux said the regents might play a new role on information technology projects after hearing possible proposals by Reilly.

Regarding the three levels emphasized at the conference, Giroux said there is a formal system in place for each one.

In terms of accountability, Giroux said chancellors of various campuses report to UW System President Kevin Reilly, who in turn reports to the board.

Many chancellors attend Board of Regents' meetings to present their findings and campus master plans, according to Giroux.

And one UW System chancellor will be aiming to distinguish his university from other schools in the state.

At the upcoming regents' meeting Mar. 8 and 9, Giroux said UW-Stout Chancellor Charles Sorensen would make a presentation on why UW-Stout should receive the polytechnic university distinction — a characteristic making UW-Stout unique from other UW campuses.

Representatives from UW-Parkside will also present their campus master plan.

When it comes to faculty relations, despite supervising 15 separate system institutions, the Board of Regents continues to communicate with deans and faculty each month by visiting a UW campus for the regents' meeting and a tour.

"Regents still get front-row type of experiences more and more," Giroux said. "They get out of Madison and listen to various representatives from other UW campuses."

And when dealing with legal risks, the board consults its general counsel — which is part of the president's cabinet — for advice on the issues of state law regarding the new admissions policy.