Bill on sick leave passes

The state Assembly approved legislation Thursday revoking a health-insurance benefit for state legislators, judges, district attorneys and other elected public officials.

However, that's where the good news ends for supporters of the bill — Senate leaders have vowed to kill the legislation if it reaches their Democrat-controlled floor.

Even so, Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, may be open to some compromise, spokesperson Josh Wescott said. Robson supports revoking the benefit from legislators but not other elected officials like judges and district attorneys.

"We don't know how they suddenly got included in this conversation," Wescott said. "[Robson's] open to looking at the benefit for legislators."

Under current law, legislators and other elected officials may convert unused sick leave credits into an equivalent amount of state health insurance after retirement. Elected officials are not given cash for credits.

The proposed bill would eliminate the so-called "sick leave" benefit.

Mike Prentiss, a spokesperson for Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said Robson's attitude toward the bill is another example of Democrats blocking reform.

Earlier this year, Robson and Senate President Fred Risser, D-Madison, decided not to address the so-called "Frankenstein Veto" bill before the spring general election. The bill aims to limit the governor's authority to amend the state budget through line vetoes.

Still, Prentiss said he's "hopeful they'll have a change of heart" on the sick leave bill.

Prentiss said Fitzgerald would have to see proposed amendments, such as revoking only legislators' benefits, before choosing whether to support a compromised version of the bill.

State Rep. Terese Burceau, D-Madison, who voted against the Assembly version Thursday, said the legislation worried her. Burceau said the bill could lead to a loss of health benefits for other state employees, like University of Wisconsin System professors or academic staff.

"I think the issue is a real philosophical divide whether people should have this benefit," Burceau said. "It's a real slippery slope."

Like other bill opponents, Burceau said she's concerned it may also damage the state's recruiting efforts. She said one less benefit could screen out applicants who already face financial concerns like college expenses or family.

Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, who voted in favor of the bill, said the benefit has remained largely unregulated for many years and removing it will save thousands of dollars.

"It's impossible to justify why elected officials should keep this special benefit; it doesn't exist in the private sector," Huebsch said in a statement. "This is another example of how Republicans and Democrats are working together to reform government."

The bill was passed 66 to 29 with members of both parties crossing lines.

Extending bar time on Doyle's desk

For at least one night of the year, partygoers may be able to drink in a bar until 3:30 a.m.

The state Assembly approved a Senate bill Thursday that would clarify the legal closing time for bars during daylight saving time. The bill will now head to Gov. Jim Doyle to be vetoed or signed into law.

Supporters of the bill say defining closing time will reduce confusion and help enforcement. It also complies with federal action that moved daylight saving time three weeks earlier to begin the second Sunday of March and end the first Sunday of November.