UW-M examines expansion costs

The University of Wisconsin System released in a report Wednesday its findings on possible ways to extend UW-Waukesha's educational programs in the most cost-efficient way.

Released to UW System President Kevin Reilly, the three proposed plans include whether UW-Waukesha should become a stand-alone university, merge with the UW-Milwaukee campus or serve as a university center. The UW-Milwaukee university center would allow UW schools to provide additional high-demand academic degree programs to the Waukesha area.

If UW-Waukesha becomes a stand-alone university, it would require a different funding structure than currently in place, according to UW System spokesperson David Giroux.

Transforming UW-Waukesha into a stand-alone university would cost $25.9 million, Giroux said, because the county government will no longer own the university.

"[UW-Waukesha] can't handle [to] stand alone," Giroux added. "But I understand there needs to be greater access to the population being served."

Under the merger idea, the UW System is proposing two plans — under the first plan, UW-Waukesha and UW-Milwaukee would merge, but the original program would retain much of its identity within UW-Milwaukee and would cost the system $22.2 million.

The second option for a merger would include an integration plan, where UW-Waukesha would become completely integrated into UW-Milwaukee, costing $25.8 million.

The problem, Giroux said, is if UW-Waukesha and UW-Milwaukee merge under the integration plan, the UW System would have to deal with salary equity between the universities' groups of faculty to ensure fairness and to protect UW from a lawsuit.

"What people have to consider is, if the schools merge, will the access missions of both institutions still be maintained?" Giroux said. "Some students are not ready for a four-year experience, and that is why they choose to attend a UW college."

Missy Gaido, UW-Waukesha vice president of Student Government, said students at the Waukesha campus would prefer not to merge because students want small classes and are worried about the tuition increase.

Currently, yearly tuition at UW-Waukesha is $4,500, while UW-Milwaukee tuition is $6,630, Giroux said, adding students would have to make up the difference.

"Students would put up with the center," Gaido said. "But I believe, as a whole, students are still against the idea."

The university center, Giroux said, is already in place at UW-Waukesha and provides the opportunity for students to earn a four-year degree in organizational administration, communication and information resources with an optional minor in business administration. At the center, he said students can receive a diploma from UW-Milwaukee while taking classes at the UW-Waukesha campus.

Giroux said the university center — whether supported entirely by UW or by market-driven corporations — would be the most economical, costing $3.6 million and $1.5 million respectively.

"We already committed to increasing the number of four-year degrees this fall," Giroux said. "This program makes sure every county in the state has access to all UW system schools."

The commitment to more four-year degrees, Giroux said, echoes Gov. Jim Doyle's increased support to research in the area, especially with GE Medical nearby.