State OKs new regent

For the first time in four years, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents will be made up of a governing body fully confirmed by the state Legislature.

The state Senate confirmed Doyle's latest appointment Tuesday — Milwaukee banker Michael Falbo, who will replace Regent Gerard Randall.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the appointment is "terrific" for the UW System, and noted Falbo was previously involved in regent affairs but was not allowed to vote.

"He brings a business perspective as a banker to the board," Giroux said. "This is a perspective we will value."

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, however, said Falbo's appointment is another example of Doyle appointing people from southeastern Wisconsin who are not in touch with more rural parts of the state.

"Doyle fully controls the Board of Regents," Suder said. "With a left-wing policy, there is less respect for taxpayers."

Suder also said Wisconsin is driving down a road to a more left-wing political policy, which he said could negatively affect the people of the state.

Despite the appointment's political history, Giroux said the Board of Regents never receives enough credit for the endless hours of work they put into the job.

"This is the true definition of public service," Giroux said.

Randall, a holdover from Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson's administration, did not step down after Gov. Jim Doyle took office and rescinded his reappointment. He had sat on the Board of Regents, the governing body of the entire UW System, since 1994.

When Randall's term ended in 2001, he was reappointed by Republican Gov. Scott McCallum, but was denied confirmation by the Democratic-controlled Senate.

After Doyle rescinded Randall's appointment and tried to replace him with Falbo in 2004, Randall refused to step down — a right granted to all regents until his or her successor is confirmed. Because the Senate by that time was under Republican control, it in turn refused to confirm Falbo.

But when Democrats regained control of the Senate last November, it was only a matter of time before it confirmed Doyle's appointment and forced Randall out.

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he thinks it is important the Legislature confirmed Falbo, adding that he is glad to see an end to "political game playing."