Safety campaign eyes city streets

The University of Wisconsin Associated Students of Madison initiated a campus safety campaign at the beginning of this semester and discussed the future of the campaign at a press conference Tuesday.

Kelly Arendt, ASM campus relations intern in charge of the campaign, discussed possible solutions to campus safety problems with leaders of UW student organizations at the conference.

"We want to make sure campus safety is discussed not only in times of crime," Arendt said.

Although crime rates are comparable to past years, Arendt said, the most common type of crime has changed from robbery to assault, both personal and sexual.

Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam said she is proud of the student government for taking the initiative promoting campus safety.

Students are "the critical voice," Berquam said, and their involvement is crucial to keep UW safe.

"The students and their involvement is really important in this issue that impacts them," Berquam said. "It's already impacted so many of our students in a negative way."

According to Arendt, ASM outlined a student-run neighborhood watch program similar to the Langdon Street Watch Program that began this November.

The Langdon Street Watch Program is managed by student volunteers in the Greek system who patrol the area from 10 p.m. until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights.

According to Rhiannon Kelleher, risk management chair of the Panhellenic Association, the watch program has been successful in drawing volunteers thus far, and the program will continue next semester.

The program, Kelleher said, is a success because of support from the UW Police Department and students interested in maintaining safety in their area.

ASM's proposed neighborhood watch plan would split campus into six districts, with large groups of students patrolling each district. Volunteers would be in direct contact with UWPD or MPD via two-way radios.

ASM will look to police, among other sources, to fund initial startup costs for the program, Arendt said.

"We have begun initial budget conversations with the different parties that would need to be involved," Arendt said. "We are very confident that we will be able to secure funding."

Arendt added that she predicts the ASM watch program will be able to match the number of volunteers the Langdon Street program has had thus far. Downtown landlords would play an integral role in the success of the program, Arendt added, by encouraging their tenants to volunteer.

"I think it would be something [students] would want to be a part of," Arendt said. "Because they would want to keep their campus safe."

Berquam sent an e-mail to the student body yesterday reminding students to continue looking out for themselves during the stressful exam period.

Since students are especially preoccupied with schoolwork at the close of the semester, Berquam said, they may not be aware of the most recent abduction that took place on North Carroll Street.

"It's a really busy time of the semester," Berquam said. "I'm just hoping maybe [the e-mail] will at least make students pause and think a little bit more … about their safety."

According to Arendt, a project "in the works" also proposed by ASM would offer free self-defense classes at the Natatorium and South East Recreational Facility to all UW students. A source of funding for this project has not yet been determined.

–Joanna Pliner contributed to this report.