Vocal UW critic to chair committee

Relations between the University of Wisconsin and the state Legislature may soon take a hit, as one of UW's most outspoken critics was appointed chair of the Assembly Colleges and Universities Committee Monday.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, was named to his new post Monday for the 2006-07 legislative session by Assembly Speaker-elect Rep. Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem.

Nass, who was re-elected to his ninth term in the Nov. 7 general election, declined to discuss specific plans for the committee but said the state has a "good product" in its state universities.

"I think in a general sense, based on the last several years, we need to make sure we have accountability from the UW System," Nass said. "We need to make it a shining star, and hopefully we can move together in a positive direction."

However, Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, who also sits on the Colleges and Universities Committee, said he is not pleased with Nass' promotion.

"People can always change, so I'm basing my comments on his actions," Black said. "But I felt that in the last legislative session, it looked like he was taking every opportunity to take a shot at the university."

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the university is willing to work closely with Nass, or whoever else the chair of the Assembly Colleges and Universities Committee may be.

He said the goal is simultaneously to be better communicators and to do a better job listening to the expectations of the Legislature and general public.

Education is not a partisan issue, according to Giroux, and he said the Board of Regents' Growth Agenda — which aims to improve accessibility and affordability — is neither a liberal nor a conservative idea.

Board of Regents President David Walsh said he and the regents are ready to begin a partnership with Nass as he begins his new role.

"We're looking forward to working with him," Walsh said. "I appreciate his interest in the university."

Huebsch said in a statement he is excited about the potential of the leaders he appointed.

"This caucus is ready to deal with the many issues facing Wisconsin," Huebsch said. "We have an outstanding group of committee chairs that are ready to help make Wisconsin the best place in the nation to live, work, raise a family and retire."

In perhaps his strongest stand against the university, Nass and several other legislators protested UW-Whitewater's decision to allow controversial University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill to speak on campus in March 2005. Churchill had written an essay blaming U.S. foreign policy for the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

More recently, Nass accused the Board of Regents of breaking state law following their decision to oppose the state's then-proposed gay marriage amendment.

Calling the move "political," Nass criticized Walsh and asked the State Ethics Board to investigate the matter.