Regents review admissions policy

After extensive debate Thursday, the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents postponed a final decision on revising its freshman admissions policy until their meeting in February.

Education Committee Chair Danae Davis proposed to delay the vote, saying the board wasn't ready to make a decision.

"I'd like to support delaying action — not because we don't agree or approve — but to allow for more discussion," Davis said.

The revised UW System freshman admissions policy would combine various UW admission policies and focus on a more thorough admission process. According to Larry Rubin, UW assistant vice president of academic affairs, students would be evaluated in a more comprehensive manner.

Academic and nonacademic factors would be considered in every application, Rubin said. Academic factors could include grade point average, test scores and class rank. Non-academic factors could include leadership, experience, racial or ethnic identity and socio-economic situation.

Though UW-Madison already uses a comprehensive admissions process, the proposed policy would require all universities in the UW System to use the new approach.

Rubin added the comprehensive approach would be beneficial in predicting the possibility of student success. Universities would consider a comprehensive student profile, as opposed to admitting students based on numbers alone.

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, addressed the Board of Regents in a letter that stated his concerns regarding the proposed admissions policy. Nass requested the Board of Regents delay any final action on the resolution and threatened to propose a constitutional amendment banning race-based admissions if his concerns were not addressed.

"The holistic admissions policy provides no protections against racial, ethnic or income profiling by admissions staff at UW System campuses," Nass wrote in the letter. "This type of profiling would clearly be illegal."

Other education committee news

The education committee approved the accreditation of the development of a school of public health on the UW-Milwaukee campus. UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Carlos Santiago said he thinks the project is feasible and timely.

"We will find the resources; we will find the support," Santiago said. "It is what Milwaukee and its surrounding community needs, and we need to be part of that solution."

According to Bevan Baker, commissioner of health for the city of Milwaukee and co-chair of the planning team for the school, public health in Milwaukee is a major area of concern for the state.

Infant mortality rates in Milwaukee are much higher than those in the rest of the state and 41 percent of 2-year-olds are immunized in Milwaukee, as compared to 81 percent statewide, Baker added.

The regents unanimously approved the accreditation of the UW-Milwaukee School of Public Health, which Baker said should have a positive impact in the area.

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett is scheduled to speak to the regents this morning to discuss future public health needs in Milwaukee.