State may add 2nd health school

At its meeting today, the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents will hear a report recommending that UW-Milwaukee develop a school of public health.

The study was composed by representatives from UWM, the city of Milwaukee and the UW System, and was based on research and advice gathered from around the nation.

According to Tom Luljak, UWM vice chancellor for university relations, the report answered various questions regarding the necessity of a school of public health.

"Our desire was to get a good, clear, picture of whether or not there is a need and whether or not we're in a position to fill that need," Luljak said. "The results really represent not just the opinion of people at UWM … [but] also represents the views of community members and outside consultants who came in with a very open mind and a neutral position."

According to the report, there are a number of public health issues in Milwaukee right now, including concerns of serious health disparities, the need for a public health workforce and the lack of a school of public health or training center in southeastern Wisconsin.

In addition to a school of public health, the report also recommends a Public Health Planning Council be created. And according to the report, the seven counties in southeastern Wisconsin should collaborate in order to pinpoint the needs of the region and the City of Milwaukee Health Department should strengthen its relationship with UWM.

Doug Bradley, UW System special assistant, said this report is just the start of what will be many discussions on the future of public health in Wisconsin.

"The board will accept the report but then the heavy lifting starts," Bradley said. "Milwaukee has a very ambitious agenda — it's a good agenda. These are conversations they're going to need to have down there with their faculty and staff, stakeholders and community members."

Friday meeting
On Friday, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett will be addressing the regents as well. In a statement released Monday, the mayor said he is committed to moving the process of developing a school of public health forward.

"There is no question that a school of public health right here in Milwaukee will serve as a laboratory for the special needs of our city and will go a long way in helping us develop the workforce needed to address the complex issues we face," Barrett said.

Last year, the regents voted to rename the medical school at UW-Madison the "UW School of Medicine and Public Health," adding a public health component to the school.

Both Barrett and state Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, addressed the board last October, expressing their concerns. However, the dean of the medical school said Madison is the right place for a public health facility because the necessary researchers and infrastructure are located in Madison.

If a public health school were developed in Milwaukee, it would then, theoretically, be the second one in the state. Luljak said he doesn't think the findings in the report should change the results of last year's regent decision.

"We think that this report and recommendation in no way should affect what Madison plans to do or hopes to do in terms of addressing the development of its own school," Luljak said. "I think the important message is the need to deal with the severe health-care problems in this region of the state."