Giving everyone a shot

One of the biggest issues of this year's gubernatorial election was education — both K-12 and postsecondary. In addition, as part of its Growth Agenda, the University of Wisconsin System has made improving accessibility one of its top priorities.

And on a nation-wide scale, Teach for America founder Wendy Kopp is doing her part to give kids a better chance of making it to and succeeding in college.

"We see that there's so much more we could be doing to make sure the kids who are staying in school have the skills to graduate from college as well," said Kopp, who granted a phone interview to The Badger Herald last week.

According to Jennifer Carnig, Teach for America's regional communications director, the organization's main goal is to rid educational inequity in the nation by recruiting highly qualified college graduates to teach in rural and low-income areas. Not only will the children be educated, Carnig added, but the teachers will also carry on the lessons they learn into whatever long-term career they choose.

"The basic idea behind Teach for America is the disparities need to be our generation's civil rights issue," Kopp said. "We believe we need to channel the energy of our future leaders in the direction of this issue."

While solving the issue of inequity in K-12 education may be a challenge, Kopp is optimistic that through the organization's passion and dedication, the challenge can be overcome.

"What we've seen through Teach for America is that we can solve this problem," Kopp said. "And I truly believe if enough of our most talented, committed leaders take this on, we're going to … solve the [cycle]."

Amy Duarte, a UW alum who spent two years in Washington, D.C., as a Teach for America instructor agreed, adding the program also changes the lives of those who teach.

"It truly and honestly changed what I want out of my life and what I think my impact can be on society," Duarte said.

Accessibility in Wisconsin

Beginning next spring, eighth-graders in Wisconsin will be able to participate in the Wisconsin Covenant, allowing them to sign a pact guaranteeing them a spot at a UW System school as long as they work hard, maintain good grades and stay out of trouble.

Kopp said initiatives like these are good for giving all students an equal opportunity at attending a higher-education institution.

"I just think that it's incredibly important to … set an expectation of going to college and making sure kids know it's available," Kopp said. "But we need to do more to make sure kids can attain really good high school education."

Gov. Jim Doyle proposed the Covenant, which was supported by the entire UW Board of Regents.

In addition, Kopp said every institution should be concerned with keeping higher education affordable for all students.

Today at 12 p.m. on the second floor of the Red Gym, three former Teach for America instructors and UW alumni will be talking about their experiences. Open to all students, the event will be informal, allowing students the opportunity to ask the alumni their questions.