Grainger accounting program ranks high

The undergraduate and graduate accounting programs in the University of Wisconsin School of Business were nationally recognized earlier this year.

The Public Accounting Report — which UW accounting professor Terry Warfield said is a monthly report — ranked UW's undergraduate accounting program No. 10 in the nation and the graduate accounting program one of the two "biggest movers" in the country, according to a press release Wednesday.

Warfield said the rankings, released in October, recognize the quality of the UW accounting program and improves the nationwide image of the UW School of Business.

"It just raises the visibility of the program, and it kind of validates some of the things we think we're doing that are good things," Warfield said. "It also better represents us to companies that might come here to recruit our students."

Business major and Associated Students of Madison Chair Dylan Rath said the accounting program is just one of the many reputable programs in the School of Business.

Rath cited the five-year accounting program that gives students access to internships as well as the School of Business' "knowledgeable professors" as particular advantages to UW students.

"Compared to other universities, UW has been providing the resources to students to help them understand the most modern economic standards and technological advances in accounting," Rath said. "I think that more than other universities, our business program and its components are really aimed at professional development for real companies."

According to Warfield, the UW accounting program has been around for 30 years and has notably grown throughout the last 10 years. With growth, Warfield said, the school gains more attention from people involved in ranking programs.

"When your numbers get a little bit higher, you get on the radar screen," Warfield said. "Our students are getting out there and having success, and that's when you start getting attention."

Rath added that the expansion of Grainger Hall shows the School of Business' dedication to the graduate program.

The UW undergraduate accounting program moved up three spots in the Public Accounting Report since last year, and the doctoral program is ranked No. 21 this year.