Library enforces bag limit

Due to the recent decrease in the number of places homeless people can store their belongings, the Madison area library system is looking to make the current bag limit policy stricter.

Carol Froistad, coordinator of Reference and User Services for the Madison Public Library system, said the libraries have seen an increase in the amount of baggage brought into establishments recently, which correlates with the decrease in storage places. Because of this increase, she added, the limit on the amount of baggage people can bring into the library must become stricter.

"The current bag limit says small duffel bags, and I've had a few debates with what is small," Froistad said. "So, I went online … to the accepted sizes for carry-ons (in airplanes) and for sizes with what can fit under tables in order to come up with the revision."

The revisions, which must be passed by the Madison Library Board, will designate "small" duffel bags as those that easily fit under the tables at the library and those that follow the general guidelines for an airplane carry-on.

Although Froistad said the baggage issue is not a huge problem, she also said her job will be much easier because of the revisions, and would allow her to focus on other aspects in the library that need more attention.

Barb Dimick, the Madison Public Library director, said the problem stems from the inability of patrons to maneuver around the library's aisles and paths when there are an excessive number of bags in their way. It is this clutter, she said, that prohibits individuals from sitting at tables and walking down the library's many aisles.

"It just makes a safe and happy environment for everyone that uses the library," Dimick said. "We have to respect everyone's right to use the library while making sure they respect the rights of others as well."

Since the majority of the homeless population resides in the downtown area, Dimick said, the Central Madison Library will be most affected by the revisions.

With the apparent bias of the restrictions on baggage size in libraries, individuals such as University of Wisconsin freshman Zach Friendly are concerned the revision may be too discriminatory.

"Since I'm from the D.C. area, I'm used to being around a lot of homeless people," Friendly said. "And contrary to popular belief, homeless people are actually quite conducive to a learning environment."

But even with some individuals' wariness of the revision, Dimick said it is not discriminatory and should actually improve the library's overall ambiance.

With the library's rules under close scrutiny, she added people around the Madison area might begin seeing some change in what is in the library and the kinds of people who use it.

"Everyone's welcome here, it's not based on appearance or point of view at all," Dimick said. "We just want everyone to enjoy their time at the library while respecting the rights of others as well."

Representatives from the Pres House, one of the organizations limiting the amount of storage for baggage open to the homeless, were not available for comment as of press time.