WiCell director leaves post

The director of University of Wisconsin's embryonic stem-cell research hub, WiCell Research Institute, announced her decision to pursue job opportunities in the private sector last week.

Beth Donley, who was named director of WiCell only six weeks ago, was like a "CEO of WiCell," according to Carl Gulbrandsen, the managing director of the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation. Gulbrandsen added that WARF is a "training field" to many of its employees for opportunities in the private sector.

Gulbrandsen appointed Donley to her former position at WiCell, which is a subsidiary of WARF.

"I think she's a very talented person, and it was an opportunity I thought she deserved," Gulbrandsen said. "It's unfortunate that she left so soon, but again, that happens, and it's nothing I have control of."

Last year, WARF lost its licensing manager for pharmaceuticals and biotechnology as well as its director of overall licensing, but Gulbrandsen said WARF has had a good employee retention rate, with the foundation only losing five people over the last eight years.

"It's always difficult to lose people, but the amount of turnover at WARF has actually been quite small," Gulbrandsen said. "Hopefully they remain a friend of WARF that helps our efforts."

Derek Hei, a leader of the National Stem Cell Bank said he has not had a chance to speak with Donley yet, and is "a little surprised" at her decision to leave WiCell. He acknowledged, however, that the field of embryonic stem-cell research is an industrious one, and people are always looking for new opportunities.

Hei, who is also a senior researcher at UW's Waisman Center, said a high-profile position like director is hard to fill, and WiCell will most likely find someone with a lot of experience and leadership in the embryonic stem-cell research area.

"There is a lot of strong leadership there besides Beth, and people will step in and give guidance until a new person is appointed," Hei said.

Gulbrandsen, however, said WARF is unsure whether the foundation will fill Donley's position at all.

WARF could either decide to rework WiCell's employment structure, or hire an entirely new employee, according to Gulbrandsen. But, he added, it is just too early to tell.

"We've got strong management," he said. "And we'll take a look at what the needs are for WiCell, and what we want to do going forward."

Donley's departure from WiCell will not affect UW's prominence in the embryonic stem-cell research field, Gulbrandsen said. That accolade, he added, is attributable to UW scientists — not WARF or WiCell.

"It's just the great science that occurs at the University of Wisconsin," Gulbrandsen said.

Donley was unavailable for comment as of press time.