UW-Milwaukee celebrates 50 years

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, with events planned through the spring to commemorate its half-century history.

Kicking off Sept. 25 with the Founder's Day celebration featuring music and guest speakers, the anniversary events have focused on achievements of the university and its alumni throughout the various academic departments.

"The kickoff event happened right behind the union, and it had a very distinct 1950s flavor," said Nancy Mack, senior editor with the Office of University Communications and Media Relations. "The chancellor arrived in a lime green and white vintage car, there was '50s dance music and it had an America Bandstand feel to it. The mayor's wife came and read a proclamation of UWM Founder's Day."

While the first of many events, it was one of the two largest planned. The second large event is scheduled for spring.

"The anniversary is going to end with the spring commencement," Mack said. "And for that, we're inviting all the past chancellors who are still alive, and we're going to have the class of 1956 lead the class of 2006 into the commencement celebration. [The kickoff and spring commencement] are the bookmark events."

While not as large, several of the schools and colleges within the university are having their own special events to celebrate the school's anniversary. The library is holding a series of poetry readings, and the Department of Visual Art is showcasing an exhibit by Wisconsin artist John Colt.

UWM is the only other public doctorate university in the state — accompanied by UW-Madison — putting the school at the center of public education in southeastern Wisconsin.

"It's been important for access [for higher education] to people in that area," Judith Temby, secretary of the Board of Regents, said. "And it has allowed more students to achieve their goals as well as contribute to the economy of Milwaukee."

The university, whose existence resulted from the state Legislature's approval of a merger of three state college institutions, has been steadily growing since its doors opened Sept. 24, 1956.

"The Wisconsin idea is about bringing the resources of universities to everyone in the state," Doug Bradley, UW System director of communications, said. "We've been revitalizing the role of public universities in the state of Wisconsin. UWM has brought things together as Wisconsin's urban university."

UWM has been a useful resource for those living in the area who wish to attend a university, but might lack the resources or freedom to relocate, according to Tom Luljak, UWM vice chancellor of university relations and communications.

"People might have too many commitments to leave this area of Wisconsin and pursue a degree in another part of the state," Luljak said. "UWM has been crucial in proving access to education that they deserve."

As one of only two doctoral universities in the state, UWM has more students from Wisconsin enrolled in it than any other university in the state. The university has awarded more than 150,000 degrees, with the vast majority of alumni remaining in southeastern Wisconsin.

As growth continues, UWM is becoming increasingly diverse and integrated into both Milwaukee and Wisconsin's economies.

"In terms of going forward, we are the most diverse campus in the state," Luljak said. "And we think that it is essential that UWM continues to provide access to a broad range of people and cultures. Our commitment is to build the research capacity of the university by partnering with the businesses and corporations here, and enhance our commitment to remain an institution of access."

UWM is located on Milwaukee's Upper East Side and currently enrolls more than 28,000 students.