Liquor licenses up for debate

The Alcohol License Review Committee met Wednesday to discuss Madison's downtown liquor license policies, which may undergo a complete change if the newly revised density plan finds support in the City Council.

With the density plan in its final stages of development, downtown bars, restaurants and liquor stores may be forced to comply with newly acquired policies regarding the concentration of liquor-serving establishments in the downtown area.

Joel Plant, Madison's Alcohol Policy Coordinator, explained many of the finer details of the policy and welcomed the accepted amendment ideas and revisions.

"The end result isn't lowering the amount of bars and liquor stores or restaurants," Plant said. "This is just the means to the ends of reducing the current number of alcohol-related problems in the downtown area."

Plant also said limiting the number of liquor-licensed establishments will lower the amount of resources spent on alcohol-related problems.

Though the policy reduces competition among the decreased number of liquor-licensed establishments, State Street Brats owner Kelly Meuer said he opposes the policy and noted a larger concern for the safety of alcohol consumers throughout Madison.

"A kid can go out on the weekend and may have $20 in his pocket," Meuer said. "[And] he's going to buy a 30-pack of beer for about $12; this buys about three drinks in my bar. You just can't make a comparison."

Meuer's logic followed that though many alcohol-related incidents occur downtown, a majority of the offenders become intoxicated at different house parties throughout Madison before visiting the downtown area. While Meuer did not offer any alternatives to the policy, he wanted the committee to keep in mind that alcohol consumption outside of the downtown area accounts for more intoxication than do the bars and liquor stores.

According to Plant, the number of individuals continuously putting forth their opinions and ideas concerning the policy shows the constant system of checks and balances in city government.

ALRC chairman Jose Sentmanat said though the alcohol policy is in its final stages, it will not be the final resolution regarding alcohol-related incidents downtown.

"This is an overall good step," he said. "But I think … a lot more work will be required to solve the problem."

Madison resident Rosemary Lee said her feelings toward the policy are positive but also said she expects many more constructive resolutions to follow.

"I'm very impressed with the scope of the plan, and I think it is reasonable," Lee said. "I think [the plan] shows balance and fairness, but I don't think anyone [who] lives downtown can expect this to be an instant cure-all."

Plant said the policy will undoubtedly be refined prior to the City Council's possible approval because of the diversity of its community input. He added after finishing all logistics, he expects the policy will stand a good chance of passing through the council sometime in January.