City tackles tenant rights

The Madison City Council discussed new police department policies, tenant repair rights and the implementation of advertising in city bus shelters at their meeting Tuesday, all of which drew reaction from community members.

With tenant repair rights bringing more than one dozen citizen appeals, the ordinance finally passed in a unanimous vote.

The ordinance will quicken many necessary repair projects for tenants across Madison.

However, City Council President Austin King clarified the ordinance only applies to certain landlords who have not properly addressed repairs in their particular complex.

"If the tenant is in a situation where the landlord has made no effort, or is unavailable to designate repair services, the tenant will be able to make these repairs and deduct the costs from their rent," King said.

It is through this process that tenants can now bypass the rent abatement process, which in the past has proven too lengthy for tenants.

The council, along with the Madison Police Department, also responded to the recent public outcry surrounding the apprehension of a rapist found guilty from evidence of sexual assault committed more than 10 years ago.

King recently introduced a resolution to publicly apologize to the victim, known as Patty, and said he is seeking support from the MPD to come through.

"This case is not the first time the criminal justice system has reached an incorrect conclusion, nor will it be the last," Chief of Police Noble Wray said. "And it is my job as chief of police to pursue the truth."

Wray issued a verbal, informal apology to Patty, saying such an apology "should have been done long ago."

The council also hotly debated allowing businesses to advertise on Transit Utility bus shelters. Although passing in a 14-4 vote, the ordinance was brought full circle in a point- counterpoint discussion led by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, and Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7.

"The aesthetics of the city sponsoring the ads in these bus shelters is atrocious," Verveer said. "The city currently strongly regulates billboards in our communities, and why should this be an exception?"

With multiple city council members bringing up different instances in the past where Madison had regulated advertising in different city-funded areas, the ordinance drew perspectives from all angles.

Brandon said the extra revenue brought in by the advertising would help to ease the many financial obligations the city has committed itself to.

But Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, said he disagreed with the ordinance for ethical reasons.
"If the entire context is right, we should pass the ordinance and revel in receiving the buck," he said. "But if receiving revenue is what we're looking at, maybe we should have naked bus drivers, and I don't want to go there."