ASM covers semester goals

The University of Wisconsin Associated Students of Madison presented its goals for the 2006-07 school year Tuesday at an annual opening press conference.

Campus safety, student registration for the November elections and the Student Activity Center replacing University Square are focal points for ASM this year.

Kelly Arendt, an ASM campus relations intern in charge of campus safety, said the student government's involvement is in its beginning stages.

Arendt said she has been researching safety programs at the other Big Ten universities and is discussing possible campus safety efforts with many UW organizations.

"SAFE, The Roosevelt Institute, University Health Services and shared governance committees have already stepped forward and offered to provide assistance with our campus safety campaign," Arendt said. "By talking with many different students and organizations, ASM will gain a better understanding as to what needs improving to make students feel safer on campus."

Christie Penn, ASM Campus Relations Committee Chair, said ASM is trying to forge a collaborating effort with the UW Police Department.

UWPD, according to Penn, suggested a program to UW Greek communities that would have members of fraternities and sororities provide SAFE Walk-type services, but she did not know any further details about the plan.

While ASM is working with UWPD to improve campus safety, Penn assured the police would not interfere with students' freedoms on campus.

"We could have a policeman on every corner, but is that really what students want?" Penn said. "I think we all value, a little bit, our freedom to walk down the street slightly intoxicated after hours underage … so I think it's something that needs to be weighed very heavily."

With the November elections approaching, ASM is also taking strides to encourage UW students to register to vote.

Vote 2006 Campaign Chair Gestina Sewell said only 51 percent of eligible young voters are registered, and voter participation by 18- to 20-year-olds has been steadily waning.

Sewell said Vote 2006 is pushing for a more "robust" democracy on campus, statewide and nationwide, which she defined as having interaction between student voters and candidates on campus.

"Although not everyone we know agrees on different issues that our society faces, we know that it's important that we all are educated and we are able to come up with our own decisions," Sewell said.

In addition to campus safety and voter registration initiatives, ASM members also addressed the soon-to-be-built Student Activity Center.

Allison Eddy, a representative from the Student Activity Center — projected to be completed in the fall of 2009 — discussed the layout for the future facility.

She said the complex, which will have a rooftop deck, will be comprised of two towers — one owned by Steve Brown Apartments and the other for UW student organizations and retail businesses.

The activity center will also be the new location for ASM offices, WSUM radio station, the Bursar's office and UHS.

"The new Student Activity Center accommodates university students in various ways," Eddy said. "Being located in a more centralized area near the southeast dorms and State Street makes SAC accessible and convenient to many students."

The center will be completed in the fall of 2009.