From Somalia to Madison

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]somolian_BF[/media-credit]A Somalian women's rights activist passionately spoke before University of Wisconsin students Wednesday evening about the plight of what some have referred to as a "fourth-world" nation.

Among her accomplishments, Asha Hagi Elmi Amin founded "Save Somali Women and Children," an organization that advocates for an end to the civil war in Somalia and works to provide education for Somalian women.

She sits as a member in Somalia's transitional parliament and is chairperson of the Sixth Clan, a Somali women's advocacy network. Amin's career has united many different types of women from different clans in Somalia to form a group with power and international voice.

Amin flew from Mogadishu, Somalia, to speak in Madison as a guest of the Soffa Distinguished International Visitor program. The audience was composed mostly of UW students with interest in international and women's rights.

UW sophomore and international scholar Molly Derse attended the presentation because of her interest in international affairs.

"It's amazing that she was able to build herself up and build a coalition of women against the odds," Derse said. "She's just so strong."

According to Amin, violent clashes between the five Somali clans currently dominate the headlines in Somali media, along with the public concern about conservative Islamic forces in the country. A transitional government — which was set up after peace talks in 2004 — currently runs the country. Somalia has not had a stable national government since 1991.

Before Amin's activism, Somali women did not have a part in the Somalian political sphere. Now, largely in part to Amin's work in the field of human and women's rights, 22 women hold seats in the parliament, and the Sixth Clan women's group has a definitive voice in the political decisions of the government.

"Our traditional role was observation," Amin said. "We really challenged that social and cultural paradigm."

Amin was faced with great adversity in her quest to create a voice for women in Somalia. She and her supporters fought against strong opposition from men in parliament and outside of it –and won.

"Women have not relented, but have created their own space and have achieved tremendous gains while between a rock and a hard place." she said.

Amin's presentation about women's place in the world of politics was an important opportunity for students on campus, according to UW's dean of International Studies, Gilles Bousquet.

"She is a strong voice," Bousquet said. "It's a message which goes beyond what she does, and is of an international value."

Several UW faculty members in attendance agreed. Marguerite Soffa, a UW alumna whose institution provided the funding for the event, said this presentation matched her interests in peace and women's rights.

"The more people talk to each other, especially from different cultures, the more peace will result," Soffa said.

Amin set a powerful example of perseverance for peace against all odds.

"We will not be shaken," she said. "But continue with confidence and vigor as long as we believe in what we are doing and why we are doing it."