Berquam relishes ‘Wisconsin Idea’

In an effort to better connect University of Wisconsin students' academic and social lives, UW's Office of the Dean of Students has revised its mission statement to better reflect the Wisconsin Idea.

Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam said after speaking with students, she realized none of them even knew what the office's mission actually was.

The focus of the old mission statement, according to Berquam, was about helping students succeed. But now, she said, it has changed completely.

According to Berquam, the new mission is about looking at "the whole student," interconnecting the social, academic and personal aspects of their lives.

"The goal is to make sure that we are helping all students here be the best person they can be and find their passion." she said. "That's what it's all about — helping students find their passion."

To help the new mission take flight, UW social work professor Aaron Brower is now acting as a special assistant to the dean, a vocation jointly funded by the Office of the Dean of Students and the provost's office.

Brower said he has been a professor in the UW School of Social Work for 20 years and has done extensive research on college life.

He has largely contributed to developing the residential learning communities on campus, along with the Undergraduate Research Scholars and Student Orientation Advising and Registration programs.

One advantage of attending a big school like UW, Brower said, is the exposure to innovative programs and the resources to study "anything imaginable."

Although he said such a large university can be overwhelming, Brower suggested many students do not know where to begin.

The Office of the Dean of Students' new mission aims to help students with common interests and ambitions and connect with each other through service learning programs, student leadership opportunities and residential learning communities, among other avenues.

"These are the kind of things that help you feel grounded in some corner of the campus and launch into the rest of campus," Brower said.

According to Berquam, she did not create the mission alone — the mission was created from "the grassroots up."

She said it will help all students on campus realize the Wisconsin Idea, which will hopefully stay with them long after graduation.

According to UW's web site, the Wisconsin Idea is a belief first trumpeted by UW President Charles Van Hise in 1904, who said he would "never be content until the benficient influence of the university reaches every family in the state."

Although the idea of intertwining students' academic and social pursuits is a simple one, Berquam said, it is also powerful one.

All UW students will graduate with a sense of pride and an "amazing" experience that will help them in all facets of life.

"All I can say is stay tuned for great things," Berquam said.