CNN editor briefs students

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]CNN-guy_RP[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin alum and CNN copy editor John DeDakis spoke to a crowd of journalism students and interested patrons Tuesday night in Vilas Hall on his life, career and transition from journalist to novelist.

DeDakis, who works on CNN's "The Situation Room," spoke on the topic, "From Journalist to Novelist: How I Learned to Stop Telling the Truth and Start Making It Up."

Proving that life doesn't always go as planned, DeDakis spoke to an assembled crowd about the development of his career thus far.

DeDakis was originally enrolled at UW with a pre-law education in mind, and planned to start a family firm with his father before running for political office. In a matter of years, though, his plans and his future changed.

UW journalism professor James Hoyt — who DeDakis said got him his first broadcasting job at Madison's NBC 15 — said DeDakis' talk was an important function for students.

"John represents a very interesting career pattern in journalism," Hoyt said. "I think it is a very interesting evolution of the career of a journalism student."

Coming from a conservative background, DeDakis first attended UW after the 1968 riots against Dow Chemical Company.

"Everybody was so certain about their position, and I was so confused about my position — I didn't know where the truth was," DeDakis said. "For the good of the country, I thought it would be good to give up my political ambitions and, for the good of the country, go into journalism."

DeDakis was majoring in journalism when he was drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War. He ended up in Germany, working with the American Forces Radio and Television Network in Frankfurt, where he had the opportunity to interview famed movie director Alfred Hitchcock.

After returning to UW, DeDakis graduated with a degree in journalism in 1977. He started working at CNN 18 years ago and eventually became copy editor for the station's news analysis show, "The Situation Room."

DeDakis has just published his first novel, "The Fast Track," currently on sale at the University Book Store in Library Mall.

The audience Tuesday was given a preview of his novel through personal reading, as well as the explanation of the inspiration behind the characters and events.

Erica Salkin, student services coordinator for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said she felt DeDakis offered a unique perspective and was important for students to hear.

"The more opportunity you get to hear from professionals in the field, the more perspective you'll have on what's ahead," Salkin said. "John has a unique perspective as a journalist and a novelist."