Pillsbury philanthropist visits Madison

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Pilsbury_RP[/media-credit]America's first social action fund, Community Shares of Wisconsin, celebrated its 35th anniversary Wednesday by bringing together members from over 60 charities.

The fund invited Tracy Gary, a nationally recognized expert on social-change philanthropy and benefactor of some of the Pillsbury family inheritance, to share in a celebration of the organization's success.

"Philanthropy is an expression of our gratitude," Gary said. "How grateful are you?"

Erika Sanders, president of the board of directors of Community Shares of Wisconsin, said the fund was started in 1971 with the intent of equally dispersing funds for charities within the south-central Wisconsin area.

And with Community Shares of Wisconsin now raising and distributing over $10 million since its inception, Sanders said, it has accomplished that goal.

Stressing each individual's obligation to give to charities and volunteer organizations, Community Shares of Wisconsin filled Monona Terrace with loud applause honoring the many volunteers in attendance, including Backyard Hero Award-winner Richard Russell. Each charity in attendance nominated a volunteer for the prestigious award for their outstanding work.

"Many people think the government and private enterprise are the answer to all of our problems," Russell, a former state government employee, said. "Those are certainly parts of the solution, but there is no substitute for having neighbors, friends, family and folks who care enough to extend a helping hand. And I'm happy to be a part of that process."

With these grassroots ideals, Sanders said, the organization plans on expanding its outreach not only to different charities, but also to the general community.

Glen Mitroff, one of the night's many organizers, stressed the idea of each person setting a goal and beginning in a charity they care about.

"I like the challenge for each of us to think about how much we can give," Mitroff said, "and to plan this giving throughout our life."

With the world's rising population and its correlating need for charities such as Community Shares of Wisconsin, Sanders said she hopes to see an increase in the number of charities involved with her organization. But Sanders added she is happy with the charities that have already joined.

"Our very bold move to add 20 new member agencies in 2004 has proven an overwhelming success," she noted. "And this year we will be distributing over $120,000 just to those agencies alone."

Sanders attributed the success of the organization to the numerous sponsors and correlating charities that make up Community Shares of Wisconsin.

"We can do this together, people," Sanders said. "Generously, individually or through campaigns — but we can not do it without you."

And Gary agreed charity is limited by the number of people willing to get involved.

"The only way to counter-balance exponential violence, greed and destruction," she said, "is with exponential love, generosity and care."