Staffer steals student mail

The University of Wisconsin announced Friday the arrest of a university employee suspected of stealing debit cards from the mail at two different residence halls and using them to withdraw money from ATMs.

The UW Police Department, in conjunction with the United States Postal Inspection Service, arrested University Housing custodian Christopher Carmichael on three counts of felony identity theft and three counts of misdemeanor theft Thursday.

Carmichael, who worked in the Southeast residence halls, was immediately terminated from his position and booked into Dane County Jail.

Paul Evans, director of University Housing, informed all University Housing residents of the arrest via e-mail Friday. In the e-mail, he acknowledged the lack of trust students may feel because of this incident and apologized on behalf of the university.

"We work very hard at making sure all of our staff knows how important it is to protect you, your identity, and your belongings," Evans wrote in the mass e-mail.

Evans also urged students to keep track of any bank cards or PIN numbers they expect to receive through the mail, and to contact their financial institution if they have not received them.

According to a UWPD report, Carmichael is suspected of stealing debit cards from the mail at two different UW residence halls and using them to withdraw money from ATMs in Madison.

The report also said Carmichael may be responsible for several other incidences of debit card theft in the UW community. According to Evans' e-mail, at least 12 students were affected; a fact confirmed Sunday night by UW spokesperson John Lucas.

According to Lucas, criminal behavior by University Housing employees is "very unusual," and he said all housing employees are required to pass a background check before they are hired.

Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam said she has no recollection of a criminal occurrence in the dorms and called Carmichael's arrest an "oddity."

"I am happy to hear that he has been caught and no further students will necessarily be impacted by this," Berquam said. "And I am happy to hear housing took the appropriate action by releasing him from his job responsibilities."

According to Lucas, University Housing is going to help all students affected by Carmichael's theft spree by ensuring they recover any funds Carmichael stole and guaranteeing that the students do not have any future credit problems.