ASM elects Rath as 2006-07 chair

The thirteenth session of the Associated Students of Madison Student Council elected several key members at its first meeting Monday night. The elections come after what many students may call a rocky road for the organization — from budget rivalries to failing elections.

Despite these rough patches, ASM successfully elected new leadership. The organization unanimously elected Dylan Rath as ASM chair. He will replace former chair, Eric Varney.

Rath said he is deserving of the leadership position and plans to make ASM "bigger and better" by focusing on grassroots issues.

"I want to reach out to more student groups and the general student population as well," Rath said, adding he wants to make sure ASM committees address students' concerns on a "day-to-day basis."

Similarly, Gestina Sewell, who was voted ASM vice chair, expressed clear goals for the upcoming session.

Sewell called the lack of communication between ASM and the student body a "major failure" because many students do not know what the organization does or even what it is.

"It is very important that we become more transparent," Sewell said. "I think it is important that this organization sees reform, and I will dedicate my time to doing so."

Additionally, members of a number of ASM committees were elected, including those on the Student Services Finance Committee and Finance Committee. However, chairs for both committees will not be elected until later this week.

Sree Atluru, a member of SSFC last semester, advised new members on how to make crucial decisions concerning students' money. Atluru will be joining the Finance Committee for the upcoming year.

Atluru emphasized the commitment and respect SSFC members need to have for the process of allocating segregated fees.

"Please keep an open mind about every single organization that comes in front of you. Make sure to recognize the difference — or perhaps the similarities — between equity and equality," Atluru said.

The ASM body also elected new members to the Finance Committee, with newly elected member Adam Brueggen saying he will dedicate his efforts to the efficient use of student fees.

"Students at this university should get the most bang for their buck," Brueggen said, adding he wants to make sure "money that is spent is not wasted."