Willy St. shooting kills 1, injures 3

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Shooting_bf[/media-credit]A shooting at a Williamson Street gasoline station Wednesday morning turned tragic, resulting in the death of a male suspect and the hospitalization of two Madison Police officers and a bystander injured by gunfire.

Officers Kip Kellogg, 47, and Kirby Harless, 54, responded to a disturbance at the gas station around 8:10 a.m. and were forced to open fire on the suspect who attacked the officers, police said Wednesday. Harless is a 32-year veteran and Kellogg has been with the department for 18 years.

As of press time, the Dane County Coroner's office had not released information regarding the suspect. However, WISC-TV reported a Wednesday autopsy identified the 45-year-old suspect as Madison resident Victor Montero-Diaz.

"The suspect refused to cooperate, and a fight ensued," said Madison Police Chief Noble Wray at a press conference later that day. "The suspect physically attacked the officers, stabbing one officer and biting the other officer. The officers used deadly force and shot the suspect."

Upon shooting the suspect, the officers immediately called for medical aid, but Wray said the attacker was pronounced dead at the scene.

Though the incident occurred outside the gas station's store, MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson had a chance to view a surveillance tape. It showed activity that occurred inside the gas station before police were called.

"The suspect had been in the store prior to the incident," Hanson said after the press conference. "[The BP staff] needed to have this person checked out, and so [officers] came. … None of the shooting or stabbing was in [the tape]."

Both Kellogg and Harless were taken to a local hospital to treat their wounds; while Harless was treated and later released, Kellogg will be kept at least overnight.

Wray noted Kellogg's condition was "good" and "not life threatening."

Wray also said he had a chance to speak with both Kellogg and Harless after the altercation, after both officers notified their family and friends of the situation.

"[The officers are] part of the investigation," Wray noted. "At this juncture, they're pretty stable in terms of being able to talk … and move forward."

Additionally, Wray said the 33-year-old male bystander injured at the scene was taken to a local hospital, where medical staff treated and released him in the same day.

But the police chief could not release further details, noting the investigation is ongoing.

"Because it is still under investigation, officers are being interviewed at this juncture," he remarked. "We have not had a chance, in great detail, to discuss this case."

Wednesday's shooting adds to the increased number of incidents that have used deadly force in the last 10 years, according to Wray.

"We have had more of these types of incidents [in the last decade]," he said. "Ironically enough, we've had, I think, at least three of these on Williamson Street alone."

Wray called the shooting an "unfortunate" situation, adding some reoccurring themes have emerged from the three Williamson Street shootings: mental health, drugs and alcohol.

Overall, he noted the death of the suspect will bring out "mixed emotions" in the community.

"Emotion and tension are usually very high," Wray remarked. "[But] I am always so very impressed with [the department's] ability to work through these things."

According to Hanson, Harless devoted his time educating the homeless in Madison, and Kellogg, as an "ultimate professional," offered new police officers helpful information based from his experience.

"Both officers are held in very high regard with this department; they're dedicated," Hanson said. "They go out of their way to work hard for this department, in numerous ways."