City preps for celebration

The city of Madison will kick off its weekend-long sesquicentennial celebration today, commemorating 150 years of history and progress at the state capital.

The festivities are the culmination of nearly 18 months of planning by a special committee designated by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz.

"We've held community meetings throughout all the neighborhoods, asking for feedback," Madison Arts Commission Administrator Rebecca Kasemeyer said. "I think it's representative of what people were asking for, and I would hope that they are pleased with the results."

Cieslewicz, along with one of the city's Boy Scout honor guards, will officially begin ceremonies by raising the city's original flag, which was recreated by two local boy scouts.

Saturday, residents can indulge in self-guided tours of the city, including tours of cemeteries where local officials have been buried.

The biggest event of the weekend will be a five-hour birthday party Sunday at Monona Terrace, where musicians from a variety of genres will perform, children can participate in activities and Cieslewicz will cut a giant sheet cake.

"The mayor likes sheet cake, and having a sheet cake is kind of a Wisconsin thing, so we are going to have one," Madison Sesquicentennial Commission Chair Dick Wagner said, adding the cake is expected to serve about 4,000 people.

And if one cake is not sufficient to feed the masses, there will be 51 other cakes as well.

In addition to the cakes, the musicians performing Sunday are all local artists, a distinctive highlight of the celebration.

"[Having local artists perform] says that we have a tremendous amount of talent here in Madison that ranges across the city," Wagner said. "It's great to be able to share it with everyone."

The entire weekend is significant because the city will officially turn 150 years old today, marking the exact day the city's charter went into effect.

While the weekend features the biggest celebration events, Wagner also noted the city plans to celebrate the sesquicentennial the whole year.

For instance, 12 historical markers showcasing significant events and people in Madison's history will be unveiled at the party, but will take the entire year to place in their respective locations.

Planning the event, Wagner said, took six months of public meetings with city residents to receive input and feedback about their ideas for the birthday celebration.

And according to George Twigg, spokesperson for Cieslewicz, finding the appropriate funds for the weekend's celebration was "a smooth and easy process," as the majority of funds came from local businesses and private donors.

"The budget ended up being somewhere around $80,000, but the vast majority — over $60,000 — was raised through private donations," Twigg said. "It's very encouraging. … [Businesses and donors] realize it's a very unique thing to be a part of."

Twigg said he expects "several thousand" to join in Sunday's birthday party.

In a city that draws in thousands of people from around the state and the Midwest for various events like Halloween and the Mifflin Street Block Party, Twigg noted this weekend's once-in-a-lifetime celebration reflects the "fun" nature of the city Cieslewicz wants to highlight.

"It's a good time to think about what has gotten the city to its current point in time," he said. "The mayor wants Madison to be a fun place to live and for people to enjoy the community, and this is one of the things that contributes to it."