State voters approve troop removal

U.S. troops in Iraq should be brought home, according to a majority of Wisconsin cities that voted in Tuesday's spring referendums.

Citizens from 32 communities across the state sounded off on the Iraq War, casting their ballots in referendums asking whether U.S. troops should immediately be pulled from Iraq.

While 24 communities voted in favor of the non-binding referendums, eight others voted down the measures.

"[The referendum results] show that over half of the citizens that voted feel that we should bring the troops home whether that be now or through a phase withdrawal," Wisconsin Green Party Co-Chair Ruth Weill said.

The referendum results rounded out a period of heavy campaigning efforts, as advocates on both sides of the issue worked for months beforehand garnering awareness and support.

Although Tuesday's referendums sparked mixed reactions ranging from accolades to disappointment, many argue the most important outcome was hearing the people's opinions.

"It's going to send a strong message to Congress and to [Washington] D.C., that the citizens at least in Wisconsin are not happy with what's going on in Iraq and want the troops home," Weill said.

According to Weill, the state's Green Party served as a major impetus behind securing the issue's place in the spring non-partisan elections, as it helped collect enough signatures to add the referendum to the ballots of 32 communities.

Other groups, however, expressed less enthusiasm with the referendum results, calling the outcome unfortunate and even irresponsible.

According to ChooseVictory.org, an online activist group launched to oppose the referendums, the votes send a negative and discouraging message to U.S. troops stationed in Iraq.

"It tells the troops that what they're doing is wrong, and I don't think that's a message you want to send to them when they're spreading freedom around the world," ChooseVictory.org President Chris Muller said.

While Muller added the results will also "embolden the enemy," anti-war activists defended the referendums and their effects.

"I think it sends a message to the troops that we care a lot about them and we don't want them dying for an unjust war," Weill said. "We want to save their lives. How can that be the wrong message?"

But Muller, who is also chair of the Republican Party of La Crosse, disagreed and said the city's results approving the referendum are a disappointment. La Crosse voters approved the measure by a vote of about 55 percent.

While some larger cities like La Crosse and Madison voted to approve the referendums, a number of other smaller communities surprised some by also approving the measures.

Communities from northern Wisconsin like Frederic and Ojibwa voted in favor of the referendums; other cities approving the measures include Baraboo, Mount Horeb, Sturgeon Bay and Whitefish Bay.

Conversely, referendums were rejected by Watertown, Sister Bay, Kewaunee, Hayward, Forestville, Egg Harbor, Osceola and Newport.

While the referendums may have reached a conclusion, the debate over the Iraq War is far from over as activists said they are planning to continue their outreach efforts.

Both the Green Party and ChooseVictory.org said they are planning further public awareness campaigns.