Court dismisses Lockhart charges

The Dane County Circuit Court dropped felony charges of substantial battery against University of Wisconsin cross-country runner Bobby Lockhart Thursday.

Lockhart, a 22-year-old UW senior, still faces a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct stemming from a November incident when Lockhart allegedly pushed his ex-girlfriend into a wall and threw a glass wine goblet at her. His ex-girlfriend pressed charges after the altercation.

After being charged, Lockhart was immediately suspended from the team, prohibited from participating in practice and competition.

However, Lockhart later appealed the decision and, according to a Jan. 24 release from UW Athletic Communications, the Appeals Committee of the UW Student-Athlete Discipline Policy overturned Lockhart's suspension, which allowed him to resume participating in practice and competitions.

UW Athletic Communications Director Justin Doherty had no further comment on the matter.

"The rules of the [student-athlete] discipline policy don't allow me to comment any further than our announcement that his suspension was overturned," Doherty said.

Lockhart was a 2002 cross-country All-American and a 2004 outdoor track All-American and also made second-team All-Big Ten for cross-country in 2002 and 2003.

When asked to comment on the matter, Lockhart said, "I don't have anything to say.”