City to review off-campus liquor licenses

[media-credit name=’JESSE BLOCH/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]ALRC_jb[/media-credit]Four downtown establishments will have their liquor licenses reviewed by the Madison Alcohol License Review Committee in the upcoming months due to repeated violations.

As a procedural ordinance, the committee refers liquor licenses for approval to the City Council, but can separate certain establishments for specific review.

"Right now, there are just some bars that are having some problems or look like they're about to have some problems," Madison Police Department Captain Jay Lengfeld said. "We had some concerns, and we've been working with the bars."

The list included downtown nightclub Club Majestic, local bars Brothers and State Bar and Grill, and University Avenue Liquor.

Managers of the four establishments did not return calls as of press time.

Lengfeld, the police representative on ALRC, said separation of such places allows the committee to review each establishment's actions and discuss possible solutions before the council renews liquor licenses in June.

"I don't believe that there's any one [establishment] that we're looking for non-renewal," he said.

Some problems can include security measures, management practices, underage-drinking violations or capacity issues.

ALRC committee member and University of Wisconsin representative LaMarr Billups said many alcohol establishments have such violations, but the committee is concerned with places that have repeat offenses.

"Rather than just take and approve these things in mass, we've decided to separate out liquor-license holders that have had particular bad years," he added.

Lengfeld said the number of separated licenses this year is low; last year, the committee had to separate nearly 60 licenses because Mayor Dave Cieslewicz wanted an emergency closing of the downtown bars.

Billups said with the separation of licenses, the committee can negotiate with establishment owners to work out resolutions before taking disciplinary action, such as suspending a license.

"The first step is … to find a resolution and see if the holder of the liquor license can abide by some sort of resolution," he said. "A lot of owners may not be aware of what's going on [on] an every-night basis until the police or the neighborhood association or the committee tells them."

Joel Plant, ALRC member and the city's alcohol policy coordinator, agreed with Billups, saying the process gives an opportunity for all parties involved to address concerns.

"The basic process for the renewal is not a disciplinary-based function," he said. "The idea is to assess problems by the community, talk about certain issues and identify typical problems."

Lengfeld said that underage drinking in downtown bars — specifically, the campus-located bars — has been a concern, and higher enforcement may be a solution to the violations.

But Plant added the main goal is to control the drinking environment in the area.

According to Lengfeld, reviewing the licenses should not be a controversial matter, saying the process has received more exposure because of the committee's conscious decision to create more publicity.

"We're hoping that this sends a message to the community in general that the ALRC is paying attention and it's a community-wide issue," Billups added. "[The community has] a say in what goes on in their neighborhood. … We hope that we can get some broad education on the process."

The other six establishments facing review include Good Times Neighborhood Bar, Brennan's, The Klinic, Warehouse Liquor, Mr. Roberts and Tropical Copacabana.