Three men allegedly rob UW student

Three men allegedly confronted and robbed a University of Wisconsin student on the 1000 block of W. Dayton Street early Wednesday morning, police report.

According to a release, the 19-year old male was walking home from studying at a library at approximately 3:20 a.m. when one white male and two black males confronted him with a weapon, assaulted him and took his wallet and backpack.

The victim did not suffer any injuries that required medical attention but did have a bump on his head after the robbery.

"Generally this campus gets high marks for safety, but obviously there are times and areas that are unsafe," Ald. Austin King, District 8, said. "Definitely, that is horrible."

As of press time, Madison police are still searching for the suspects.

King, who oversees the district in which the incident happened, said although the campus area is safe, the early morning hours pose more possibilities for violent incidents.

King added students should try and take advantages of the university services available if traveling late at night, but countered there are circumstances when such services cannot be available.

"There are university and city services that can help," he said. "And you can try to walk in pairs, but sometimes at 3:30 [a.m.] you're studying alone."

SAFE Nighttime Services Coordinator Jacob Hahn said he would "love" to provide the campus with a safe transportation service all night, but the funding and the staffing are not available.

"Unfortunately the cost would be too expensive, and I think it's too bad," he added.

Hahn said if students do not plan to use SAFE's services, then they should plan ahead.

Lt. Eric Holen, University of Wisconsin Police Department, also emphasized the advantage of using transportation services late at night, but added if a student is walking home during such hours, he or she should be aware of their surroundings.

"I don't think we can over-say it," he said. "If you see behaviors that make [you] concerned, don't stick around long enough to try and validate those feelings."

While the 1000 block of Dayton Street, near Brooks Street, is fairly lit, Hahn said the presence of lights does not constitute a safe area.

"The thing I don't think people realize is the fact that there's lights around doesn't indicate the safety level of the place," he remarked. "Where there's light, there's shadow, and where there's shadow, there's places to hide."