City readies for anniversary

[media-credit name=’CATHERINE SKROCH/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]madison150th_CS_416[/media-credit]Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and members of the Madison Sesquicentennial Commission gathered Tuesday to celebrate the enactment of the city's charter 150 years ago.

In addition to displaying the city's original charter, Cieslewicz revealed more details about Madison's birthday celebration weekend, starting Apr. 7.

"We're here to sort of celebrate a pre-birthday," he said. "I think it's important for the city to take a moment to reflect."

The charter, according to Cieslewicz, grew out of disputes between the town of Madison and the village of Madison.

After numerous amendments to their village charter, residents felt the charter was not sufficient and limited the roles of government in the area.

Therefore, the village developed plans for a city charter, which was put into effect March 7, 1856.

Cieslewicz noted some of the more interesting aspects to the original charter, which include regulations for circuses, regulation for the weight of bread, protection of the lakes and managing public drunkenness, among others.

"Some of the issues that the city dealt with 150 years ago are still relevant today," he said.

Madison 150 Commission member Celia Klehr revealed specifics of the city's extravagant birthday bash, to be held Apr. 9 at Monona Terrace.

Klehr called the party "happy, controlled chaos," and said the party will be a culmination of the three-day birthday celebration, including a live stage with entertainment, the singing of "Happy Birthday," accompanied by the National Guard 132nd Army Band of Madison and the cutting of a large sheet cake, aimed to feed the party's celebrants.

"The main event will be that all citizens of Madison will be coming and meeting each other, hopefully sharing stories and enjoying their life in the city of Madison," Klehr said.

Commission members previewed the design of Madison's official flag for the large sheet cake on a smaller cake; Cieslewicz lit candles on the cake and the commission members sang "Happy Birthday."

Cieslewicz added the city has thrived on the idea of hope, as residents come to Madison with expectations of escaping prejudice, building a business or starting their academic career.

"What has hung on for 150 years? People came to the city with high hopes," he said. "Madison is a city of promise and great beauty … we need to take stock of the present … and then plan for the future."