Mifflin apartment gains support

The demolition of a city historical house may soon bring life to a new apartment complex on Mifflin Street.

Madison's Plan Commission approved a proposal Monday allowing construction of two new apartment buildings behind two houses on the 400 block of Mifflin Street.

"The objectives of the property is to increase the density and increase the quality of affordable units on two lots," Madison Development Corporation President and property owner Frank Staniszewski said.

Headed by MDC, a non-profit development company, the complex will also include six affordable-housing units to comply with the city's inclusionary zoning ordinance.

However, the developers will need to demolish the house currently located on 441 W. Mifflin St. to make room for construction.

The historic house, built in 1884, has been vacant for 18 months, but Madison resident Gene Devitt spoke in opposition to demolition at the meeting.

Devitt noted a previous fire in the house caused damages, but not enough to take down the house.

"Extra space should not be a reason to tear down this home," he said. "This [house] is an important part of the city."

But Jim Glueck, architect of the complex, said the economic costs of saving the house outweighed costs of demolishing and rebuilding a new house.

"We took a serious look at saving it and the numbers simply don't add up," he added.

Madison resident Rosemary Lee supported demolishing the house, which is "not livable" by her standards.

"I'm a great believer in judiciary historical preservation," she said. "But this house deserves to die an honorable death."

Plan Commission member Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, questioned what he called a lack of a neighborhood plan for the project.

But Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, addressed Golden's concern by saying he has seen neighborhood support even without a plan.

"It would be wonderful to have a neighborhood plan, but [this] part of the downtown is more transient in residents," he said.

Thus, according to Verveer, there was difficulty in formulating a plan because of the residents' transient nature.

Verveer, who has overseen MDC's past proposals to renovate the block, reiterated his support for the complex.

"It goes without saying this is a tremendous improvement over MDC's original plan," he added.

The proposal will be brought before the City Council next month.