City residents debate violence issues at nightclub

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald Photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Majestic_bf416[/media-credit]Nearly 30 members of the Madison community spoke up about violence-related issues on King Street at a meeting Monday and plan to continue doing so.

Madison's Alcohol Licensed Establishment Response Team, or ALERT, specifically addressed issues plaguing King Street, with most of the dialogue centered on local nightclub Club Majestic.

Club Majestic and its security have been under criticism since opening in 2003 — a number of disturbances and violent incidents have occurred outside. Despite concerns of city officials, many patrons in the meeting pointed to other problems.

"Everyone wants us to be the target," Club Majestic general manager Joe Abrams said. "[The club is] the safest place in Madison. There is not a single gun inside."

According to Capt. Mary Schauf of the Madison Police Department, recent disturbances have occurred partially because the club and MPD eliminated the armed security previously stationed at the club's entrance.

Despite these provisions, some of the club's bouncers emphasized extensive security measures used at the establishment, including metal detectors and detector wands.

"The only reason I decided to work there was because they [screen for weapons]," club bouncer Ahmad Jenkins said. "We take care of our issues outside of the club. … The majority of nights are quiet."

Abrams noted Club Majestic provided the extra armed security but was then told by Madison police to refrain from using the security for incidents not involving the club.

Additionally, the club's owner, Nicholas Schiavo, said he would help pay to provide armed security once again, just as he did before, if allowed.

"I know there's problems in the street … especially since we took the armed security away," Schiavo said. "But I'm willing to pay [for armed security] until we certainly get our act together so we can guarantee public safety."

However, Fred Mohs, a downtown Madison resident, did not agree with the previous security measures taken at the establishment.

"Is it necessary for us to have [this] kind of activity that makes it dangerous for the community?" Mohs asked. "We have 80,000 people come to Camp Randall without a scary, dangerous clientele."

Patrons also discussed whether criticisms against the club are racist in nature and affecting the community dialogue.

Victor M. Arellano, Schiavo's attorney, said neighborhood association Capitol Neighborhoods has a "bias" against Club Majestic after addressing its patrons as "gangsters."

"We shouldn't allow the hoity-toity to say that we have a bunch of violent patrons without any basis," he said. "Unless you tell us specifically what we can do, you can't tell us that our community is dangerous."

Club disc jockey Sam Ferris said there needs to be a focus on security, not music or the club.

"Madison police need to reevaluate their community relations," he said.

Other residents proposed the idea of improving King Street safety as a whole, not just Club Majestic.

Downtown resident Rosemary Lee suggested raising expectations of patrons in the area around bar time.

"Club Majestic is not the only establishment that lets out over-served people at bar time," she added.