Kreibich’s Bible-study committee meets today

Both sides of the controversial University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Bible-study ban will meet face-to-face at the Capitol today.

State Rep. Rob Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, said his committee is expecting national media coverage of its informational hearing on the heavily debated UW-Eau Claire policy prohibiting resident assistants from leading Bible-study sessions in their rooms.

UW System President Kevin Reilly, whose handling of the situation has been criticized by several Republican legislators, will be among those testifying before the committee.

"The president was asked to go down and he's going to provide some perspective on the important role of resident assistants," UW System spokesperson Doug Bradley said.

UW-Eau Claire resident assistant Lance Steiger, who has a lawsuit pending against the university, will offer his testimony as well.

U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., and UW-Eau Claire Interim Chancellor Vicki Lord Larson were also invited to testify, although their attendance has not been confirmed.

"If President Reilly's there I think we can have a full discussion," state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, who is not on the committee, said. "I would personally prefer to have the UW-Eau Claire chancellor there as well since this seems to be one of her major blunders."

Kreibich's committee kicked off a series of developments in the Bible-study ban controversy Nov. 30, when he announced his committee would hold a hearing today.

Within a few hours, Steiger filed a lawsuit against the university, Reilly revealed a new committee to prepare a system-wide recommendation, and UW-Eau Claire issued a statement announcing the indefinite suspension of its practice, effective immediately.

"We're going to have an open discussion about obviously UW-Eau Claire's unwritten policy. We want to know when it actually started and why it was selectively enforced and also why it took so long for UW-Eau Claire to respond," Suder said. "They handled the issue very poorly and we'd like to know what the future plans for this and similar policies are."

The Madison-based Freedom from Religion Foundation, which has defended a policy prohibiting RAs from leading Bible studies in their dorm rooms, expressed concern last week that Kreibich's committee amounted to little more than grandstanding.

"Who has ever heard of a 'public hearing' where only 'invited speakers' may speak? Are you afraid of public input?" FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor wrote in a Dec. 8 letter to Kreibich. "I respectfully ask that I or someone from our office be invited to speak at this hearing, to assure that at least ONE speaker is in support of [this] sensible policy."

Suder defended the committee and said it has met all the legal requirements for publicity. He said Gaylor or any other FFRF officials would be welcomed to testify.

"We'll see whether they have the guts to do that," he added.