Senate passes concealed carry

[media-credit name=’NATALIE WEINBERGER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]senate_NW416[/media-credit]Debate at the Wisconsin State Capitol continued late into Tuesday evening, with the Senate passing bills allowing the carry of concealed weapons and repealing the annual gas-tax indexing, but eventually recessing before voting on the highly anticipated amendment to ban gay marriages and civil unions.

In a 23-10 vote, the Senate approved SB 403, which would allow Wisconsin citizens to carry concealed weapons.

While SB 403 Senate supporters repeatedly claimed that the Constitution guarantees the right to carry concealed weapons, opponents raised concerns regarding the bill's implicit threat to public safety.

"Concealed weapons in Wisconsin have been illegal for over 100 years, and we have one of the safest states in the whole country," Sen. Judith Robson, D-Beloit, said.

Robson pointed to the dangerous implications of passing SB 403, especially the potential for hazardous instances taking place under certain circumstances.

"I can't imagine Halloween on State Street. … What a disaster that would be for Madison," Robson said. "I can't imagine going to the mall knowing the person next to me may have a concealed [weapon]."

Supporters, however, see SB 403's passage as a measure to conversely improve public safety in the state, maintaining the right to carry concealed weapons will protect — not threaten — Wisconsin citizens.

"This is an important issue for people who want to protect themselves [and to have] control of their own destiny," Sen. David Zien, R-Eau Claire, said.

Before the bill's passage, debate arose over a number of the bill's amendment proposals. The Republican-controlled Senate tabled amendments to prohibit concealed weapons in certain public areas, such as in the state Capitol building or park, health facilities and school zones.

"Concealed weapons have no place in our courthouse. Concealed weapons have no place in the judge's chambers. Concealed weapons have no place in public buildings," Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, who proposed an amendment to prohibit concealed weapons in government buildings, said.

SB 403 opponents also worried the bill may infringe on the rights of property owners, which compelled some to propose an amendment allowing owners to prohibit concealed weapons in their homes and businesses.

"Personal Protection Act" proponent Zien called such a suggestion "very obviously unconstitutional."

Regarding public opinion on the measure, bill supporters and opponents remained divided, each claiming a majority of citizens and law-enforcement officials alike to have viewpoints aligning with their own.

In a largely party-line vote of 20-13, the Republican-dominated Senate approved SB 331, a proposal to repeal the state's annual indexing of the gas-tax rate. Currently, the gas tax is adjusted each April 1 to reflect inflation.

"Taxation without representation is a principle we all agree with, and we ought to do it as quickly and as judiciously as possible so we can have [an] honest discussion in this state," Senate Majority Leader Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, said.

While many legislators found the bill to be an answer to a serious problem plaguing Wisconsin consumers, others saw it as a threat to the state's Department of Transportation, an agency which relies on the yearly gas tax for part of its funding.

"It's a $38.6 million cut right now to transportation," Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, said.

Sen. Russell Decker, D-Schofield, called the measure "fiscally irresponsible," pointing to the fact the state is already billions of dollars in debt.

But leaving citizens across the state in suspense, the Senate recessed before voting on the much-awaited proposed amendment that would ban gay marriage and civil unions, agreeing to reconvene today at 9 a.m.

"A better result will be had in the light of day when we are all fresh," Decker said.