Union director enjoys work

This is the fifth in a series of articles profiling the administrators of the University of Wisconsin.

Every day at the Wisconsin Unions, dozens of events ranging from student organizational meetings to the Distinguished Lecture Series and live music performances take place.

Wisconsin Union Director Mark Guthier is the man behind the scenes, overseeing both facilities and all the events they collectively house.

"I am responsible for the overall operation of Memorial Union and Union South," he said. "Basically, it's everything that's under the umbrella of what you would think of at the union … [such as] the theater, Hoofers, food service and the art collection."

The job requires a high amount of communication with student organizations and groups, Guthier said, adding student interaction is the aspect of the position he enjoys most.

While Guthier enjoys that part of his job, he said he also looks forward to being able to see the spoils of his hard work.

"[I enjoy] the simple act of being a part of one of the organizations on campus that brings together students, faculty, staff [and] alumni," Guthier said. "There are certain moments every year where [I'm] at a program or event or sitting on the terrace and it kind of clicks to [me] that this is a perfect example of what the union is supposed to doing on the campus."

As a part of the university's future campus reconstruction efforts, both the Memorial Union and Union South plan to undergo some level of renovations.

Guthier said he sees these as a positive chance to collaborate the ideas of students, alumni and faculty and for the unions to better serve the university.

"We're really trying to get out there and hear from students about what they'd like to see their unions provide them on campus," he said. "This fall semester has been an excellent opportunity to meet with all kinds of students, faculty, staff and alums to talk about and envision a future of the union."

Wisconsin Union Associate Director Hank Walter has been working alongside Guthier since June of this year and said Guthier fosters success in the workplace with his positive attitude and his sense of humor.

"He brings this kind of positive 'can-do' attitude and a great sense of humor to every task and every meeting," Walter said. "That really goes a long way towards making this [an] environment where people can feel like they can be successful."

Aside from working together with the Union Council to help the university with their activities, Guthier said he works together with his wife to help with his children's busy schedules.

"Well, I have five kids, and [my wife and I] spend a lot of time with their activities. They range in ages from 12 down to 5," he said. "[We] also enjoy gardening and home-improvement projects."

Persuaded to leave Indiana for the University of Wisconsin by his wife and now serving his fourth year as Wisconsin Union director, Guthier said his experience at UW has been satisfying.

"My wife is from Wisconsin. I met her in Indiana, but she was always hinting after we got married that we needed to find our way to Wisconsin," he said. "Having the chance to work here, on this campus, [has been] a really exciting and rewarding experience."