Group tackles pollution issues

In an effort to decrease energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions nationwide, the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group is kicking off its Campus Climate Challenge at the University of Wisconsin this week.

Under the campaign, WISPIRG aims to encourage other universities to do the same.

David Shaffer, Madison board treasurer for WISPIRG, said the goal of the campaign is to encourage 500 colleges and universities across the nation to record and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 2008.

Following the plan, universities would agree to implement policies to reduce their emissions by two percent a year until 2050, he said.

"The campaign is just about having schools commit to doing an inventory and make a plan to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions," Shaffer said. "Some schools will do this themselves and some have already done it, but we will make sure that there are tools to get this taken care of for the campuses who have yet to take inventory."

Shaffer said WISPIRG hopes to get numerous schools in the UW System to participate in the campaign, adding schools can always take measures to be more energy-efficient.

"UW Madison has actually been really great about its future building and [is] really trying to pay attention," he said. "But there's more they can do to be more energy efficient."

To make a difference in the state of Wisconsin and on the UW campus, Schaffer said WISPIRG will be working in conjunction with UW-Steven's Point and UW-Milwaukee.

Jessica Langenfeld, WISPIRG co-coordinator of the New Energy Future Campaign, said by encouraging the use of alternate energy sources such as wind power, the organization hopes to reduce the state's greenhouse emissions.

"We're working to get 10 percent renewable resources mandated in the state of Wisconsin," she said. "This means more solar and wind energy as opposed to coal plants."

With energy costs rising, it is critical for Wisconsin to seek alternate and renewable energy sources, Langenfeld added.

"The biggest thing is that gas and coal oil are not getting any cheaper," she said. "WISPIRG has hired researchers, and [their research] shows that Wisconsin is perfectly capable of getting 120 percent of its energy just from wind power."

Langenfeld said she hopes the campaign will make the use of renewable energy sources more prevalent throughout the state by encouraging residents, specifically small-town residents and farmers, to employ wind power.

"One way [we plan] to include Wisconsin in this campaign is by talking to towns and asking them if they would be supportive of clean energy in their town by putting up wind turbines," she said. "And [we're] asking individual farmers if they'd be willing to put wind turbines on their land."

Through consistent and dedicated effort, Langenfeld said WISPIRG would like to have a sweeping effect on attitudes toward energy usage.

"We're hoping that through these campaigns, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and renewable energy would be the future of Wisconsin and the United States," she said.