Unions remain top priority

Although University of Wisconsin students voted down proposed segregated-fee funding for Memorial Union and Union South renovations last week, efforts to renovate the two prominent campus centers will gradually continue.

During the Associated Students of Madison’s spring elections last week, a referendum proposition to utilize more than $100 million in student segregated-fee funding during a 14-year span to support Memorial Union renovations and the reconstruction of Union South failed by 185 votes.

Supporters of the unions’ renovations are dismayed by the results of the vote but are keeping faith that students will eventually realize the need and benefit of union renovations.

ASM and union administration are already addressing apparent student concern with this year’s referendum and are contemplating a new funding plan to appear on next year’s ASM ballots.

SSFC chair Janell Wise said that while many students support both of UW’s unions, the failure of the referendum for renovations was partially due to a lack of preparation to conjure an informed student vote on the issue.

“They felt it came up very quickly,” Wise said. “It just shows campus is really split on the issue. I think a lot of people disagreed about the actual funding structure and how the funding should be structured, versus opposing the union altogether.”

Wise added that forums were held to inform the student body on the issue, but there was a general lack of interest. Students were caught off-guard as the issue gained recognition during elections, and some may have defensively voted against it, Wise added.

While the referendum failed, Wise said she believed it was a success in building student awareness.

Wise said despite the referendum failure, both facilities will still need upgrades in the future before it becomes more expensive.

“There were a lot of groups opposing it,” Wise said. “It was a small victory. It wasn’t a win, but … we’re still really committed to renovating the union.”

Among other changes, Memorial Union would have been upgraded with new meeting rooms, thorough wheelchair accessibility, new wiring for Internet access and a sprinkler system.

Union Director Mark Guthier said there are many issues to be addressed at the union structurally, and in order to pursue assumed future renovations, students will have to become more involved in renovation plans.

“There is a strong belief that the union needs to be renovated. The question [regarding the referendum] was if people were informed enough to make a vote on it,” Guthier said. “As we go about it next year, we’ll try to provide more details about the [renovations].”