Men’s crew team to practice in new home

[media-credit name=’AJ Maclean’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Crewhouse1_AM_400[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin men’s crew team will begin practice for the first time in its new home today. The crewhouse, sitting on Lake Mendota next to Adams Hall and the Kronshage residence halls, is now ready to host both the men’s and women’s crew teams as construction winds down.

Women’s teams have already begun practice in the new facility, which has been under construction for the past year and a half.

UW men’s crew coach Chris Clark said the new building consists of a lounge — study room, a work out area, an indoor rowing tank and locker rooms. He said the teams were very excited to begin practices in the new facility, especially since they had been practicing in a tent near the Natatorium while the crewhouse was under construction.

UW freshman and member of the men’s crew team Sean McBride said he was very excited not to have to practice inside a tent any longer.

“Being a freshman, I didn’t really get to experience the old crew house, so it’s really nice that we’ll be able to work out inside and not in a tent,” McBride said.

When asked what kind of difference this new building would make for crew team members, Clark insisted it would make a big difference in the way they practice and interact as a team.

“The old crew house was originally built to hold 55 men,” Clark said, “Now with this new building, we can all practice as a team with the women’s teams and that will make a big difference.”

McBride said he agreed that the new building would make a big difference to all the team members.

“I think it’s going to bring the team together a lot, because we’ll actually be together,” McBride said. “I think it will bring a more professional attitude to the team.”

Dustin Stitgen, a UW junior and men’s crew team member, said the mirrors in the indoor rowing tank will allow the team members to join together and enable them to look at their technique and improve their level of competition.

“It will really help us work on our technique and form before we get out on the water,” Stitgen said.

Stitgen added the convenience of having showers and a locker room inside the new building will be especially helpful to team members. The women’s team did not have locker rooms inside the old crewhouse.

“Especially in the spring when we have two-a-day workouts, the convenience of being able to shower and have a locker is really nice,” Stitgen said.

Clark made sure to add the new crew house is more convenient for his coaching, due to the new offices it houses. Before the new crew house was completed, Clark and the other crew coaches had offices located outside of Camp Randall, and when the stadium went under renovation, they were moved to a different, less convenient location.

“I’m more inclined to go there now, outside office hours, because it’s just more accessible,” Clark said.

Clark mentioned that with the new crew house, the UW teams are at a better level with other teams around the nation who have also built new crew houses.

“It’s a million times better than anything we’ve ever had,” Clark said.