Winter break time of fun, friends

It’s no secret University of Wisconsin students enjoy their lengthy winter break. Having nearly a month off provides most with an opportunity to go home and catch up with family and old friends. Whatever the case, students make the best of their time off.

UW freshman Cassandra Mueller says she has been home four times this semester. Mueller, from Woodbury, Minn., can catch rides back home with her friends often, since there are so many UW students from the area.

“My family is going up to northern Minnesota [over break]. I’m looking forward to going ice fishing and having snowball fights,” Mueller said.

Mueller’s roommate, Samantha Mich, has also gone home a few times this semester. Mich, from Mukwonago, Wis., will spend break working at Wal-Mart, skiing and catching up with old friends.

Other UW students from further off the beaten path are enjoying one of fewer chances to see old friends and family. UW freshman Elizabeth Kiefer has only made one trip back to Omaha, Neb. this year.

“I’ve only been home for Thanksgiving because I’ve been really busy, and it involves an entire day of travel,” Kiefer said. “I’m just gonna hang out and catch up with old friends.”

For Kelli Hardee, a freshman from Cedarburg, Wis., winter break will provide more than the typical opportunity to catch up with old friends.

“I get to go home again, but I’m also going to Montana with the ski team for some races,” said Hardee, a new member of the UW ski team.

According to UW graduate Kar Dehal, class of 2004, the biggest burden of going home was always the cost of plane tickets. The trip back to his hometown, Shrewsbury, Mass., is an 18-hour drive from Madison, so flying was the most realistic option.

“I only went home for Christmas [each year], because tickets were just too expensive to go home any more often,” Dehal said. “But I think the best part of going home was that even though you and your friends have changed, your friendship didn’t.”
According to Dan Colleran, assistant director at the Wisconsin Union Travel Center, sales increase for all methods of travel available at the WUTC. The increased travel traffic during winter break is less than that in May and June.

While the winter-holiday sales boom is consistent, the number of students going on a vacation during break is decreasing, he said.

“I think [students are vacationing] less because of the economy,” Colleran said.

For students needing to catch a flight at O’Hare or downtown Chicago, the WUTC offers a special $33 round-trip Van Galder Bus ticket to UW students and Union members. Tickets are also available to Midway for $24 one way, $48 round trip.

A low-cost travel alternative for students short on funds is the Ride Board posted outside the travel center.