Students make cereal diet staple

Increasing numbers of college students are eating breakfast cereal as a meal, citing it as a low-cost, easy alternative to uncertain dining hall meals, according to the New York Times.

For some students living on their own for the first time, cereal may provide the cozy feelings associated with home and childhood.

While cereal has long been a significant part of the college student diet, it is still a convenience food, which in the realm of nutrition typically means it is unhealthy.

According to UW Nutritional Science Professor Sue Smith, though many of the popular cereals among students are fortified with vitamins and minerals, they are still high in sugar and carbohydrates.

“Vitamins and minerals won’t take back calories,” Smith noted. “You have to read the labels.”

Smith recommends oatmeal as a cheap, convenient and healthier alternative to cereal.

Smith said the University Dining Halls adequately provide students with healthy and balanced dining options, but the key is for students to choose them.

“The most common vegetable Americans eat is potatoes,” Smith said. “The second most common: tomatoes.”

The problem lies with how people eat these vegetables, Smith said. French fries, which are high in saturated fat, serve as the dominant potato source in many diets, while the ketchup Americans douse over them is often their daily intake of tomatoes.

Smith recommends students take advantage of farmers’ markets and buy more fresh fruits and vegetables, which are low in calories, high in nutrient density and provide a greater feeling of satiation.

The potential health risks of a poor diet include cardiovascular disease, arthrosclerosis, hypertension, diabetes and obesity.

“When you’re in school, you’re young and energetic. So it’s easier to burn off calories. But when you leave school, you’re going to have to change your habits,” Smith said. “You have to start by making small changes and eventually they’ll become habits.”

Whether it is being cooped up in a dorm room, not having time to cook, or simply not knowing how, many students’ diets have fallen victim to cheap, quick and convenient foods.

According to UW freshman John Bruning, an employee at Ed’s Express, Juston Stix, Nachos Plus, pizza and subs are the most popular student meal choices.

“It’s good food; it’s cheaper than anything else around; it’s close to the dorms; and it’s fast,” Bruning said. “Some [students] watch what they eat, but I think price is the main concern.”

A 12″ pizza or a large order of Juston Stix at Ed’s costs students living in UW Housing $4.70, while similar items often cost at least twice as much elsewhere.

For some, access to food plays a key role in eating decisions. UW senior Dau Xiong moved out of the dorms this year and now has the benefit of a car when finding a meal.

“With a car, I can get whatever I want. I can go buy some groceries, or just get something quick like McDonalds.”

Bruning noted as a student living in a dorm, there are still options when students need groceries.

“If they need groceries, Capital Foods, Ed’s and the Den are within walking distance,” he said.